New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Lucky Newbie

• 4 Replies
Lucky Newbie
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:19 »
Hi all,

I dropped on lucky and got a beautiful half-plot on a small, rural allotment site within a month of moving to my new home. It's barely overgrown. The old beds need weeding and repositioning and they are surrounded by well-kept grass. The community of growers is small and friendly. The weather, however, not so friendly!

Other than the weather being a set-back, I also ordered a PE polytunnel (as I can't afford a shed and/or greenhouse until next year). I need to get my tomato plants and chillies down there. Bought it from that well-known online market place and chose next day delivery. Due to some tech-based glitch, the damned thing was out of stock so I've effectively bought an item that doesn't exist! So, no shelter to work the plot from during this never-ceasing inclement weather and some rather leggy tomato plants that are crying out to be transplanted, scariad fly infested chilli plants and nematodes in the fridge - all waiting on delivery of an item they didn't have. Grrr.

So yeah. I grow superhot chilli varieties, and tomatoes. I'm looking forward to growing root veg and potatoes, and wouldn't mind experimenting with growing mushrooms. My main objective this year is to get the chillies and tomatoes in the polytunnel, and prep the rest of the plot ready for next years growing season. I'm also going to keep a small patch of the well cared for grassed area as an ornamental sun-trap for me to relax in (I don't have a garden).

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Re: Lucky Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 11:20 »
Welcome Timothy!

Just acquired roughly a third of a plot myself.  Thought I was lucky, but you really seem to have fallen on your feet with that one. 

I'm thinking about a polytunnel myself.  There's a sunken area where a sort of lean to greenhouse used to be till it blew down.  Not sure how to deal with it, but definitely want a covered area.

Whereabouts are you?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 11:59 »
Welcome, Timothy.

Looking forward to hearing how you’re getting on.  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:10 »
Hi, and welcome to our forum.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 12:33 »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new lotty.

It'll help if you put your general location into your forum profile - often useful when chatting about growing stuff  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

clip
Another lucky new allotment holder

Started by Brussel Sprout on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2020, 22:30
by Fairy Plotmother
xx

Started by robbo78 on Welcome to the Forums

7 Replies
Last post December 16, 2016, 09:15
by snowdrops
xx

Started by susiebeb on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2016, 20:25
by snowdrops
xx
Hi from an old newbie

Started by stevekind on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2016, 10:59
by Vagabond

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 43 queries.