greenhouse base, what to do?

• 22 Replies

utigers

greenhouse base, what to do?
« on: December 01, 2012, 17:05 »
Just ordered a greenhouse, it hasn't arrived yet so cannot inspect the parts/base where it touches the ground.

How do you fix a greenhouse house down, even the bases want you to have slabs/concrete.

What's the best way to do it?

Cheers.

Gwiz

Re: greenhouse base, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 17:42 »
There's been quite a few idea's disscussed before. I used railway sleepers from the garden centre and have had no problems. It gave an increase in height also (which was useful)
Others have used slabs, some concrete and I expect a few have just put it down on the ground.
Lets wait and see who replies! ;)

utigers

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 18:04 »
I think the greenhouse is quite light so this is fairly important.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 18:34 »

Mine, three rows of bricks with the holes horizontal ensuring plenty of ventilation.  I had to extend the door downwards to reach the ground. ::)

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Lottiman

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 20:36 »
Quote from: Gwiz
There's been quite a few idea's disscussed before. I used railway sleepers from the garden centre and have had no problems. It gave an increase in height also (which was useful)
Others have used slabs, some concrete and I expect a few have just put it down on the ground.
Lets wait and see who replies! ;)

I also put mine on railway sleepers three years ago, It's been fine ever since and I would certainly do it the same way again, I used the new sleepers nice and clean and no rubbish oozing out of them and coach bolted the frame to them, as Gwiz said the extra height inside is nice, especially if your tall.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 21:44 by Aunt Sally »
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:02 »
Although I had a pre-existing concrete base I wanted to raise the GH height so used concrete bricks (to match colour) to form a raised base and then frame-fixing screws to secure the GH to the bricks.

Possibly not the quickest way of doing it, but almost certainly one of the cheapest, and it's all still intact after 2 years so I can advise that extremely modest bricklaying skills are adequate for this type of work! (Tip: coating fixing screws/bolts with Waxoyl helps with driving them home and should prevent them rusting away.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:13 »
My OH uses bricks too, and bolts the greenhouse down sometimes.  OUr biggest greenhouse isn't bolted down as its quite heavy, and in 6 years it hasn't moved much in our winds over here.

But I think the sleeper idea is a good one as it would be easier to fix the bolts into the wood rather than brick or concrete.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:31 »
I used a levelled course of dry laid bricks, covered with some DP fabric with 2x2 wood ontop of that.
Drove some angle iron pieces into the ground and screwed the wood to that.

Lifted the greenhouse frame onto the top of the wood and screwed the ali frame onto that.

So simple even I managed to do it on my own  :lol:

Herb

• Experienced Member
Re: Re: greenhouse base, what to do?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:49 »
I bought greenhouse anchors, which are just angled aluminium, they go down 18" and are concreted in. On a windy site, but it hasn't moved yet!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

utigers

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43 »
Like the sleeper idea.....and i have some.  How does this effect the doorway thou? Does it create a big step.

Also the base of my gh does it have fixing points or do you create them?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 13:39 »
It sounds as if the frame of Kleftiwallah's GH does not extend across the bottom of the door so he was able to extend the door to close the gap, but I would have thought that most frames are continuous so yes, there would be a step (Klefti is obviously a bit of a handyman so may have sawn through the offending section but I'll let him explain that if it's true!)  ::)

Don't know whether yours will have pre-drilled holes (again, I doubt it - mine certainly didn't) but it's only aluminium so quite easy to drill if necessary (just remember to do it before you glaze the frame!)  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 13:43 »
my Halls greenhouse had holes pre-drilled - but yes you have to screw it down before glazing!

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 16:36 »
I'm going to have to take out the foundation bearers from our cedar greenhouse, and replace them next spring.

I reckon I'll chop out a two ft length of the rotten wood, and shove in an 18" slab with a piece of DPC to take its place, and just work round the three sides (the door end is fine).

Then I'll slab the whole lot internally, as from now on, we'll grow toms and cuces in bags or big pots. Have to really, we had some blight in there, and so I may as well bite the bullet!

Then I'll have to paint it again, which is always a funny sight as the ladder sometimes does a Michael Caine in 'The Italian Job', and I finish up saying to anyone in earshot 'Now listen, I've got a good idea...'

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 17:00 »
Like Herb I uses greenhouse anchors on the corners and stuck them in half a bucketfull of concrete (B&Q Mix).
Most important to get it absolutely level and square. If it's not you won't find the problem until you come to fit the last panes of glass.

Gwiz

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 17:50 »
Like the sleeper idea.....and i have some.  How does this effect the doorway thou? Does it create a big step.

Also the base of my gh does it have fixing points or do you create them?

It does create a step. As for your geenhouse, I've never seen it so I couldn't say. ;) :)

xx
Greenhouse base.

Started by JaK on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 13:15
by ANHBUC
xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 15:12
by arugula
xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by Uzzy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 20:33
by jezza
xx
Base For Greenhouse?

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 22:08
by Pimento

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 41 queries.