Running out of water

• 31 Replies

Muls

• Experienced Member
Running out of water
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:49 »
 :( The only things I can water are runner beans , I am now worried, the ground is turning to dust .  Can we do a rain dance please ....

m1ckz

Re: Running out of water
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:55 »
we have many taps  so its fine,,,,,,but rain dance we will  lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:44 »
I won't join in - cos we did one of those last year and look what happened  :ohmy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:13 »
Nope no rain dance here we have taps.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:27 »
Sorry selfish I know but no rain dance from me either we have taps

Yana

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:47 »
We have taps but a rain dance wouldn't be a bad idea as actually getting to use the taps is another story altogether.  Had a good watering session one eve last week and since then, it's been hogged by someone who switches it on and then goes away. I'm sure it is in our T's and C's that  you shouldn't do that.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:58 »
 >:( turn it off for them and report them to the relevant authority. our taps were cut by the water board so that hoses could not be attached (when they stopped hose use). I noticed last week some has bypassed the tap and  put a connector on with its own stopcock. I was straight round to the manager.  >:( >:( >:( some people are really selfish

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 13:13 »
We have no taps only a stream that runs through the miiddle of our alottments it is filled from a lake up in the village

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 13:39 »
we've self dug wells starting to get a bit low,but will put up with it.  Remember 2007 TEWKESBURY!!!!!
Bish

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 13:40 »
A little rain would be nice for a few hours overnight :D it must be hard with no water in this heat.I have the choice of two taps,when nobody is about i connect one up to the soaker hose in the tunnel and the other up to the main hose and water in half the time.
There are no hose bans in my area,water for allotment comes from a spring.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 14:54 »
Weve got water troughs on ours they are about 50 yards away from my plot,so i use a wheelbarrow wth a board on top,fill the barrow with water,put the board on top then fill a big half 45 gallon drum on top of that.
I get about 20 gallons by the time ive spilled a bit on the way back.
Its saves messing about with watering cans though ive just give my sweetcorn about 50 gallons today,dwarf beans about 20 gallon from three trips to the trough.

Things are growing like crazy with this heat compared to the last two years,id forgot what a bit of heat can do for the veggies  :)

seaside

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 15:21 »
I'm delighted with the weather and long may it continue. If I were the betting sort, I would put a lot of money on a shortage of rain being far less of a problem for all of us where crops are concerned, than the dreadful Summers we've had.
We have taps ... and so we should living in the middle of  a big city in a rain soaked rich country... and while this weather continues I have a daily watering can trudge for the allotment greenhouse plants and a few other outdoor toms and squash/courgette. Once a week pre dawn/work I now give the other crops, like sweetcorn  that might suffer, a good 20 minute hose soaking. A lot of hard work has gone into some crops and it would be unreasonable to expect some people not to water if it is available. For varying reasons different plots have hugely different water retaining properties.

The odd guilt/husbandry arguments going on at our allotments re watering philosophy/hogs and angels .. that's what you get with different folk, but in the main there's been no police incidents :D.

Apart from the more fibrous water retaining e soil programme that is ongoing,  I think I might just invest in a bit more mulch next year in case we have a repeat. Wouldn't that be nice. Absolutely delighted at the return of such weather.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 15:27 by seaside »

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 15:43 »
no rain pelase we have to hand water and i dont mind  it ...better tht the excess rain we had last year

snow white

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 17:44 »
In response to those of you who have tap water - do you pay extra to use it?  For example we pay 50 pounds for a whole plot then are told water will be extra!  The site will be responsible for the bill.  How on earth can we budget for an unknown cost?

acer

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 17:48 »
we,ll all  be dancing when we get a hose pipe ban  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

xx
Up and Running at Last

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:27
by nobby
xx
Running out of space

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 11:19
by compostqueen
xx
Running late

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 01:04
by iwantanallotment
xx
Raised beds almost up and running ...

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 12:06
by VeggieVirgin

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.