Chicken falling over, help

• 10 Replies

Flossiej

Chicken falling over, help
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:23 »
Went out and opened the coop this morning and they all bumbled out in their usual way except for Nutmeg who eventually came out sideways! She then just couldn't seem to get her balance and kept falling sideways. It looks like she has a problem with one of her legs which she try's to hold up off the floor. We have checked her leg and the doesn't seem to be any obvious damage to it. Have brought her indoors in the cat basket as the others were standing over her and getting distressed. She is eating ok , not drinking very much and just lying on her side. She has just started panting a bit now as well although it's a great deal warmer in doors than outside.

I am at a real loss what to do with her and she is my favourite hen always into mischief. They don't free range so don't think she has been attacked. Help?
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

Sassy

Re: Chicken falling over, help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29 »
Its possible she has had a stroke. You really need to take her to a vet to confirm or to put her out of her misery if you feel she is suffering. In the first instance move her into a cold room or outhouse she will overheat in the house as she is used to the bitter cold we have at the moment. Someone else may be along with more help. I'm really sorry. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Flossiej

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58 »
Ok have moved her to greenhouse with warm layers mash porridge and water and see how she goes. She is barely a year old so, as she is holding her head up well, I am hoping she has just got a strained leg and reluctant to stand on it. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks x

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:25 »
Sprains and strains can occur at any time, especially if there is a bit of a jump to the ground from the coop (not everyone uses the ramp all of the time ;) )

You will need to examine her leg properly, have a good feel, right up to the hip , comparing it agains the other leg.  Look for any swelling or tenderness, any heat spots or obvious deformities.

It is possible for chickens to recover from dislocated hips and broken legs, but I feel that it is often kinder to put them down, as recovery can take a long time, and hens aren't meant to be immobilised.

Also, as Sassy said, it might be a neurological problem; in that case it really is a case of wait and see... but if she isn't eating and drinking, please don't wait too long before you do the responsible thing.

Good luck, and I hope nutmeg recovers quickly :)

Flossiej

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13 »
Well I am pleased to say that after a few hours in the greenhouse with here own breakfast and some TLC I have come back from popping into town to find her rooting about in my husbands plant pots standing on both legs and muttering to herself. I had gone out to obtain some straw and a sturdy box to keep her warm tonight which is now not needed lol. Cannot believe the transformation, little terror she had me really worried. I think as you said casey, she might have jumped down from the perch in their run late yesterday evening and then gone to bed and woken up with a painful stiff hip/leg. Anyway thank you all for your kind words and I will continue to pamper them all through these bitterly cold days. Phew what a morning! X

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:47 »
Hi there

I had a similar incident a few months ago with a chicken that had had broken leg succesfully mended. She was fine one minute then off her legs the next, she went off the to the chicken doctor who gave me antibiotics and then a week later just when she started to improve suddenly died :(
Has she had a moult?
We think that our had such a heavy moult it really took it out of her and her weakness was affected.
Best of luck, if in doubt seek a consultation with a kind vet

Broody :)
if wishes were changes.......

Flossiej

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:52 »
No nutmeg has not had a moult at all. I've just been out to the run and she looks completely normal now standing up on her perch and eating and drinking with the others. If I didn't know better I would have said she had a hangover! Very odd. I will keep a close eye on her over the next few days, good job I am on a few days leave from work at the moment. The leg showed no signs of damage and as I'm a radiographer I checked for fracture and all ok. I was tempted to sneak her into work and X-ray her though lol.

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 19:04 »
That would give the doctors something to discuss   :lol:
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Flossiej

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 21:35 »
Mmm yes it would. :-)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:34 »
So glad it's worked out :) :) :)

Flossiej

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 21:27 »
Thanks sassy and just to update, she is right as rain today. A complete mystery but happy outcome! X

sad
Chicken moulting and falling over

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 14:52
by JohnVW
xx
Hen Falling over

Started by Mad Max on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 08:06
by Mad Max
xx
the sky is falling down - acorns!!

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 22:40
by Lindeggs
xx
one of chickens is falling over,hot,fla

Started by man316dara on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 14:01
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 38 queries.