Chicken moulting and falling over

• 8 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Chicken moulting and falling over
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:56 »
Hi all, one of my girls is having a major moult and lost nearly all her feathers but they have  started growing back at rather a fast rate. I went out there this morning and although she seems fine in herself - eating, pooing normal she keeps falling to one side. Not all the time just every so often, her legs seem to be shaking as if she doesn't have a lot of strength which is not surprising considering the amount of feathers shes growing back bless her. Is this a normal part of the moult or should I be concerned? I keep thinking of Mareks at the back of my mind :unsure:

Also is there anything I can give her? I gave her some tinned tuna this morning but don't want to overload her with protein.

Thanks x

Jeanette

Re: Chicken moulting and falling over
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06 »
When they moult it can take it out of them so they are not as happy as normal. I don't know about her falling over. How long has she been like it.?
Sorry i can't really help but i am sure someone will be along soon.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:36 »
I've only noticed it today, she seems fine in herself just every now and then she'll walk low to the ground or stagger to the right, its as if she's lost her balance.

One of my other girls had a similar thing when she first started laying and couldn't walk at all but she wasn't moulting, it turned out to be a soft egg and she was fine afterward. Just wondering if maybe she has a soft egg coming?

I'm starting to get a bit worried now, she's outside at the moment with the others pecking around but I'm keeping a close eye on her.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 15:17 »
I had this with one of mine and she went off her legs completely during a full moult in the depths of the snow we had last winter. What a time to lose all your feathers  :( The birds can use all their energy just keeping warm and with the added strain of the moult they can get calcium deficiency

There's a major thread on here about it.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 15:43 »
Thanks, thats certainly put my mind at rest ::)  what did you do to keep her warm in the snow with no feathers? I keep thinking about making her a little coat to wear lol. I did think about bringing her indoors to keep warm but she hates being picked up and she'd probably go mental in the kitchen on her own.

Luckily its not too cold today, I've let them out in the garden in between the showers but kept them in their run while its been raining as I don't want her to get wet all on her bare skin.

Is there anything I should be giving her? I gave her some tuna I found in the cupboard earlier and been adding poultry spice to the food, anything else?

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 15:57 »
I'm not saying for sure that it is calcium deficiency but it could be. What you're doing is fine. The tuna (in springwater) is a good idea. Another one is a little cat food or some chick crumbs if you have them.  There's good calcium in dark green veg such as kale and broc, dark green cabbage so make sure they're getting plenty of veg.  You can buy limestone flour from the pet shop or equine place and you can add a little bit of this to her food.

If she doesn't pick up though don't leave her untreated.  Get her to a vet as she might need a liquid calcium etc, or it could be something else entirely

Someone more knowledgeable than I will be along soon and can give you better advice  :)

Biguba

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 16:19 »
Cat food and tins of tuna? I'm sorry but I need to be educated... :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 22:16 »
It's given to boost chickens that are under stress from moulting or calcium deficient. You give them a tiny bit of tuna in springwater, cat food or chick crumb.  This is not routine feed just a home remedy

JohnVW

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 14:52 »
The cat food and tuna is used in such cases as they are rich in protein.  The chickens need extra protein when they moult and replace feathers.  It just gives their protein levels a bit of a boost.
John

xx
Chicken falling over, help

Started by Flossiej on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 21:27
by Flossiej
xx
Moulting chicken

Started by Xxluke11xX on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:57
by joyfull
xx
Moulting chicken, any advice

Started by HelenMckenzie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 13:17
by HelenMckenzie
xx
Chicken with a weird walk and moulting?????

Started by Chickencoo on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 16:28
by Chickencoo

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.