Chicks raised under lamps

• 2 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Chicks raised under lamps
« on: July 20, 2010, 22:06 »
My broody rejected 2 day old chicks I tried to place under her nad they have been raised under lamps in the garage.  They are now 7 weeks and 4 days o ld and are living very happily in an outhouse with no additional heat. 
2 Questions...

1  They refuse to eat anything other than chick crumb still.  I put pellets in with the crumb but they pick them out.  Any ideas or just pust give them pellets and they won't starve themselves (hopefully!)

2  I have 5 other hens.  I have been letting them all wander around teh lawn inteh evenings under supervision and there have been no fights.  Tonight, one of the chciks accidently found it's way through a gap into the big enclosure and spent about 20 mins there before I rescued it.  The others weren't attacking it but were interested init and had the odd peck I think.  When would it be safe to introduce them properly to the main 'flock'?  The run is very big and is divided into 3 areas so plenty fo space for them to run away if neccessary

Grateful for your thoughts as always.

Kym

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicks raised under lamps
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 22:17 »
Have been very fortunate as mine are 4 weeks old and raised by a broody in the same area as the other girls. They are now beginning to follow the big girls and try the layers pellets from their tray, but get short shrift if they try to eat at the wrong time. I do make sure that they have plenty of chick crumb and that none of the others try to steal it from them. Apart from that, they get along fine, and they seem to be making the transgression of their own accord. Have you tried putting a mixture of crumb and pellets out in one container, and then gradually reducing the amount of crumb?

If I throw treats in for them all, then I must admit that the pecking order rules and it's a free-for-all. The little chicks are learning very quickly where they fit in and do get the occasional peck if they step out of line, but nothing serious. Mommy Olive is on hand keeping a beady eye open, but hopefully they will now progress into a flock without too many problems.

Sassy

Re: Chicks raised under lamps
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35 »
You should be able to mix them in but I would put extra feeders in - just until they have settled down - as that is where most squabbles arise :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

question
heat lamps

Started by akwebb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
heat lamps

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 08:06
by lisa80
xx
heat lamps

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Heat lamps

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.