Rent-a-chicken?

• 2 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Rent-a-chicken?
« on: June 08, 2021, 13:36 »
This is not a story about me, but I thought some might find it interesting (certainly one way to make money from laying hens!). This is all in the USA, for what it's worth.

My sister and my brother-in-law live in the suburbs of the city of Indianapolis. Brother-in-law has always wanted to try raising chickens for eggs. But how to try it if you are unsure if raising chickens is for you?  Easy: rent a chicken!

They paid a fee (way more than I thought was reasonable, enough to buy grocery eggs for 2 years, but what the heck; hobby, right?) For that, they rented a coop, an enclosure for their back yard, and two hens (not sure about feed). Also a little how-to advice.  They seem to be enjoying it (my sister and brother-in-law that is; to my knowledge, the hens have not registered an opinion).

Anyone else heard of something like this?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

Re: Rent-a-chicken?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 07:06 »
I think that's a brilliant idea, wish they did it with kids!

In all seriousness I'd like to keep chickens and if that was offered to me I'd give it a go.  A worthwhile way of finding out if something is right for you before you make a huge financial commitment.  Did a similar thing with a cherry tree when my kids were young.

Trian chick

Re: Rent-a-chicken?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 14:18 »
Easier way would be to find someone who has hens and offer to look after them while they were away. Husband was asked to look after a neighbour's hens.......and now we have our own.

xx
Incubator for rent in northamptonshire??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 13:16
by bedifferent
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
how much does a chicken eat?

Started by cejx on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:21
by evie2
xx
chicken poo

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:22
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 41 queries.