disposal when the time comes

• 20 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
disposal when the time comes
« on: April 22, 2011, 19:31 »
With the exception of a couple of birds, one which died when the ground was too hard to dig and one which died while I was away, my girls have been buried in the garden when their time has come ... but what is the best way to dispose of a body?

As my girls are regarded as pets it's a prickly subject for me but it's a question which needs to be asked - and answered by any who have to face this dilemma (as, sadly, do I at this time)

PaulineM

Re: disposal when the time comes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 19:55 »
Hi
A prickly subject I think but here goes. I lost my first hen 2 days ago quite suddenly and I have to admit I picked her up examined her for any clues as to why she died and then took her round to the bin, I came in to get a bag to put her in and my husband was horrified and promptly dug her a grave and she was buried. I am surprised myself that I took her death this way as I am usually very sentimental and even more surprised at my husbands response as he was the one who said 'there's no chickens coming here' when I said I wanted chickens.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

wildwitchy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 21:42 »
DEFRA says you're not to bury fallen livestock on your own land. As I'm registered with DEFRA I either put the body out to the refuse or give it to a smallholder friend that traps foxes for bait.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:33 »
Good point hadn't thought about that I have nowhere to bury a dead bird but the wheelie bin seems a heartless way to send off a family pet
 I have a chimnea???
What about some sort of cremation ?
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:19 »
Good point hadn't thought about that I have nowhere to bury a dead bird but the wheelie bin seems a heartless way to send off a family pet
 I have a chimnea???
What about some sort of cremation ?

:ohmy:
Would you feel really bad if your mouth started watering while you were cremating your chicken?!

Although I hear burning feathers smell absolutely horrible so you might get complaints from the neighbours instead.

Catsmuvva, I'm glad you asked this question as I have been wondering about it myself.  Depending on what the bird died of (including 'unknown causes') I would be very reluctant to dispose of it anywhere that pathogens could be released into the air or soil, including anywhere wild birds could pick them up.

On the other hand I don't put any other organic waste into my bin and send it to landfill, so it would feel wrong to do it to my pet chicken.  Hmmm...

Beakybird

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:38 »
I'd imagine most people bury their pets? Personally, I'd see more problems occuring if the bird went to landfill (think rats and gulls eating the carcass) or if it was eaten by wild animals. That's just my totally unprofessional opinion of course and I may be missing a point somewhere.  

If an animal dies of unknown causes then the only way I could see that it was disposed of with absolute total safety is a professional cremation, but I think few people would be willing to fork out over £60 for that!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30 »
I'd imagine most people bury their pets? Personally, I'd see more problems occuring if the bird went to landfill (think rats and gulls eating the carcass) or if it was eaten by wild animals. That's just my totally unprofessional opinion of course and I may be missing a point somewhere

The point may be that in nature it`s the sick and diseased animals that get eaten first. ;)

I bury them deep if there is a spare patch of ground or failing that i treble bag the body and  put it in the chest freezer until dustbin collection day.
I believe it is still legal to bury domestic animals/pets  up to 40kg weight on your property.

Beakybird

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26 »
I'd imagine most people bury their pets? Personally, I'd see more problems occuring if the bird went to landfill (think rats and gulls eating the carcass) or if it was eaten by wild animals. That's just my totally unprofessional opinion of course and I may be missing a point somewhere

The point may be that in nature it`s the sick and diseased animals that get eaten first. ;)

The point I was refering to was regarding DEFRA saying that birds cannot be buried on your own land, not what happens in nature. If a bird cannot be buried on one's own land then by putting a diseased bird in landfill it may spread the disease to wild birds and other people's flocks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:28 by Beakybird »

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50 »
I put the birds on a big rock + the buzzards take them.
Dogs etc, I dig a big hole, fill with pallets, place body on + burn. Next day I collect all the ashes and scatter across fields.
As my water comes from a spring, I don't bury.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55 »
Mine also went in the household refuse.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58 »
love the idea for dogs of digging the big hole, burning then scattering the ashes - very Viking. My dogs are either in the garden or in Deefors case her ashes are in a lovely little casket in the living room, Charlie and Ollie will be dealt with the same way.
My chickens though unless I have a bonfire going get double bagged and put in the bin.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 10:45 »
My dead ones are also double bagged and in the bin.

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 11:19 »

The point I was refering to was regarding DEFRA saying that birds cannot be buried on your own land, not what happens in nature. If a bird cannot be buried on one's own land then by putting a diseased bird in landfill it may spread the disease to wild birds and other people's flocks.
I think the main problem with burying commercial stock is that is liable to be a regular thing and can lead to ground water contamination. I think that viral disease spread from burials to other animals is less of an issue.

Beakybird

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 11:38 »
I think the main problem with burying commercial stock is that is liable to be a regular thing and can lead to ground water contamination. I think that viral disease spread from burials to other animals is less of an issue.
[/quote]

That makes sense :)

pekinpete

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 15:03 »
i see there is a split between burning and putting in rubbish to go to landfill,i think and do burn dead birds for one flies don't get chance to lay eggs which turn to maggots, i do this to prevent the people who don't like chickens something else to moan about like i say this is my method so people who put birds in rubbish please don't get offended.

xx
Disposal

Started by tyrone on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 21:48
by MontyTom
xx
Poo disposal

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 23:09
by SUTTY1
xx
Disposal of hen.....

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 17:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
Chicken disposal

Started by upert on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 07:44
by Rsb

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 39 queries.