Anyone know a thing about Volvos?

• 14 Replies

Goldfinger

Anyone know a thing about Volvos?
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:50 »

I've got a '99 T reg, manual Volvo S80, and I've developed a leak on a part on the clutch system.

It's not either the slave or master cylinder, but here goes trying to explain...

The clutch is hydraulic, and the fluid is shared off the brake reservoir, and on the feed pipe so far down there is a little 'block valve' looking thing and it's that that is leaking.

I'd post a photo if it would help, but it's buried under loads of other parts for the car.  ::)

I've been searching the 'net, but can't find what it actually is.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone know a thing about Volvos?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:18 »
Hopefully it will just of come a little loose due to vibration or prior servicing. Is it an olive nut? I would just tighten it up and go from there. If not alot of fluid has been lost then it should be fine. If the brake pedal has gone spongey or the clutch pedal looser than normal then I would recommend bleeding the system. The valve block thingy your talking about is normally a distribution block where all the brake lines tee off. If it is the pipe leaking and not the block thingy then you could make up a new line or have a mechanic do this for you. All he'll need is the old brake/clutch line in order to copy and he should be able to do it while you wait or at least the same day. If you are near oxfordshire I could help you out with this.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:47 »
without the exact model (engine / transmission/vin no) I cant be sure, but my diagrams show a non return valve in the line volvo part 9485451, but that is from the pipe off the bottom of the brake servo, I'll keep digging. heres a pdf of  the only pages I can find on the hydraulics for the clutch.
Grendel
* gr-70749map.pdf
(82.61 kB ~ Downloads: 149)
* p-020994100400a.pdf
(29.51 kB ~ Downloads: 315)
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 13:19 »
also might be better asking on a volvo specific forum. eg http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?act=idx
Grendel

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 16:37 »

Big thanks Grendel.  ;)

I posted a similar question on a uk volvo forum 3 weeks ago, and I've had no replies.  :(

If it's any help, I'll PM my Reg and VIN number.

I just seem to be going round in circles on this bloomin' 'net trying to find the part.....

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 18:03 »

OK, gone and took a photo...

Was quite a mission to get the airbox out - talk about hidden.....  ::)

This one's looking at it upside down...

It seems to be from that 'disc' in the middle where it leaks from.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:44 »
I know it's no help, but the very first thing that went on our new Volvo (years ago) was the clutch. It was barely a year old and the clutch slipped about like a goose in its own muck. Then we had no end of problems with the dual carbs. That's when we traded it in and vowed never to get a Volvo again. Hope you have better luck getting your clutch fixed.

Goldfinger

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 20:19 »

Just a little update....

Went to a breakers yard and found a similar part on a different make of Volvo.

Got it off and home, and discovered the fittings in on side were a different size, so que our workshop manager - 10 minutes later, an adapter made.  :D

Got this home and fitted last night, come to bleed up the system - now the master cylinder has given up.  :(

Back on the 'net, found a supplier that does cylinder repair kits, so sent off for one.

Got an e-mail this afternoon say they don't stock the kits anymore due to thier supplier going bust!  :ohmy:

Back to square one I guess....

Trawled the 'net again tonight, NOWT! I'm stuck and still car-less......

Anyone got a plan 'B'??......

grendel

Goldfinger

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 20:59 »

I spotted that Grendel but... with us working in a plant and machine company, someone may be able to source the seals I need.

I even read on the 'net, someone had 'lapped out' the bore on thier master cylinder to get thier seals to fit.  :ohmy:

grendel

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 21:03 »
I have a v40 (ebay £400) with 160,000 miles on it, to be honest the clutch is slipping if I rev it too hard, but it has been doing that for at least 6 months and I suppose 6-7,000 miles so ar, so as long as I can kep getting up the hills it will do, my other car is a volvo 850 (£350 ebay) which now has over 260,000 miles on it, so I am getting good at doing the work myself and know exactly what you are going through, it always seems to me that you fix one thing, then the nxt bit down the line decides its had enough.
oh and in order my previous 3 cars were volvo 440's and the two before that were 340's with a 940 estate added into the mix somewhere.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 21:06 »

I spotted that Grendel but... with us working in a plant and machine company, someone may be able to source the seals I need.

I even read on the 'net, someone had 'lapped out' the bore on thier master cylinder to get thier seals to fit.  :ohmy:

ah well if you have contacts you may well be able to get the bits you need (and have the workshop facilities to get the job done easily)
good luck and hope you get sorted quickly
Grendel

Goldfinger

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 21:10 »

Thanks Grendel.

I'll keep yous all posted....  ;)

Goldfinger

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 14:28 »

All fixed!  :D

The guys in the workshop took a look a look at the cylinder and seals and said they think there was nothing wrong with the seals, there may have been the slightest bit of dirt trapped between the seals and a non-return vlave in the tip of the piston.  ???

Got it back home refitted it, but this time, bled the clutch using the 'pressure system' way...

Alot of oil exchanged later, and I've got my clutch back!   8)

grendel

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 15:12 »
yay - result, well done

xx
Weed puller thing

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 15:08
by savbo
xx
My runner bean and Pea pole thing..... (picks)

Started by Dopey113 on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 19:56
by mattwragg94

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.