Mixing Species Ducks and chooks?

• 3 Replies

Laraine

Mixing Species Ducks and chooks?
« on: August 17, 2011, 14:04 »
Just wondering if Ducks and chickens can live happily together? We had some Mallards visit the pond in spring, but just used the pond to relax, swim and the odd dinner. Our Pekins ignored them, even the cockerel was happy for them to eat the corn and to wander into the chicken run.

If they can live happily together, what breed could we consider?
Laraine
First time Chook keeper

Sassy

Re: Mixing Species Ducks and chooks?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25 »
Chooks and ducks can live happily together. A problem may arise with a drake which may treat the hens like another duck!! This can be very distressing for the hens. Ducks are also very messy so it would also depend upon how much room you have for them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Laraine

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 14:34 »
Chooks and ducks can live happily together. A problem may arise with a drake which may treat the hens like another duck!! This can be very distressing for the hens. Ducks are also very messy so it would also depend upon how much room you have for them. :)

No drakes then!  ;) :D they have enough with the male chook as it is!  :ohmy: :D

Laraine

indianrunner88

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 14:08 »
I have ducks and hens together without any problems. 

My ducks are indian runner ducks which are a good garden breed.  They don't need much water (mine have a 3' by 1.5' tray, 8" deep that came from the garden centre and is supposed to be for greenhouses I think).  They can get in this, sit on it and submerge themselves, but it isn't deep enough to drown a hen.  They also lay very well - as well as hens.

They had their own duck house but after a couple of months they abandoned this and moved in with the hens.  This didn't cause any real problems.  I bed mine on wood shavings which is absorbent and they don't come in too wet.  I've just commissioned a new hen house and asked for an extra tall door and room between the perches to suit the ducks better.

The hens chased the ducks when they first arrived as they'd never seen them before.  Then they ignored each other and kept their distance.  Now they go around in a mixed flock.

I've got two more runner ducks coming, one of which is a drake.  Hopefully with three female ducks he'll ignore the hens.  Having spoken to various people indian runner drakes don't seem to be as mating mad as some other breeds.

xx
New chooks mixing with established???

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 13:33
by wadz81
xx
Mixing ducks with chickens, advice please!?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 20:24
by Vember
xx
Can ducks have bio yoghurt and bran like my chooks do as a treat?

Started by niccigroves on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:46
by niccigroves
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 38 queries.