pellets and grit ratio?

• 5 Replies

mikeschooks

pellets and grit ratio?
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:50 »
Picked up my three new girls Tuesday. I have a bag of pellets, but told they didn't contain grit so bought grit separately. Is there a particular ratio of pellet to grit, at the moment I have just roughly mixed the two. Also the grit 'pieces'seem to be quite large, but I guess the chooks manage these in there own way?  Thanks Mike
PS One of the hens was very reluctant to descend the ladder this morning, she just sat up top. I eventually lifted her down? Is it just she's in a new coup and at the moment unsure of her surroundings.

Vember

Re: pellets and grit ratio?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:01 »
I always leave grit in a separate dish for them to peck at as and when they need it :)
I presume the larger pieces are oyster shell? The hens will manage those fine, they are very important to the girls as the calcium will help them give you lovely strong shelled eggies :D

I would imagine the reluctant girlie was just taking in her surroundings and getting her bearings give her a day or two to settle and she should be fine :D

Sarah :)

laurabee

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 23:04 »
Great, I've been meaning to ask a similar question - I feed mine on layers pellets (which I think contain some soluble grit?) and have a separate tub of mixed grit available to my birds all the time. They pick out all the oyster shell and hardly touch the rest of the grit. Is this normal? Should I ditch the mixed grit and just give them oyster shell, or add extra oyster shell to the mix? Their eggshells are lovely and hard so am assuming there's no calcium deficiency causing them to crave more!

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 23:14 »
Great, I've been meaning to ask a similar question - I feed mine on layers pellets (which I think contain some soluble grit?) and have a separate tub of mixed grit available to my birds all the time. They pick out all the oyster shell and hardly touch the rest of the grit. Is this normal? Should I ditch the mixed grit and just give them oyster shell, or add extra oyster shell to the mix? Their eggshells are lovely and hard so am assuming there's no calcium deficiency causing them to crave more!
They'll pick out what they need, I just put in a pot of shell if I think the shells are getting a bit thin as layer pellets have plenty of grit and shell, plus what they get out of the ground.

Wheelchair Gardener

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:23 »

PS One of the hens was very reluctant to descend the ladder this morning, she just sat up top. I eventually lifted her down? Is it just she's in a new coup and at the moment unsure of her surroundings.

We have had our 3 birds for 2 weeks now, they were all very hesitant at first, now when I let them out they charge down the ramp and start bossing me about.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 13:29 »

We have had our 3 birds for 2 weeks now, they were all very hesitant at first, now when I let them out they charge down the ramp and start bossing me about.
ours were very wary of the ladder at first - they'd stand at the top and then jump down to the ground instead of walking down it (it's only 1 foot off the ground) but now they run down it two at a time!

xx
pellets to grit to oyster shell ratio

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 09:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Layers pellets & Grit

Started by stujem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 23:29
by hillfooter
xx
Cock to hen ratio?

Started by RobH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 14:01
by RobH
xx
Hen v's cockerel ratio

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 08:23
by Sassy

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.