Things moving along nicely ?

• 3 Replies

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
« on: May 05, 2006, 21:17 »
Well, I put 40 bean seeds in to seedling trays, compost and watered for a week.  Couldnt believe how fast they sprouted, verry impressed that they all took, even more impressed that they grew so d**n quick   :shock:  
So transferred them to 4 inch pots to get a good root on them and decided to wander over to lottie, as i hadnt been there for a week due to work.  Well as i came round the corner, it dawned on me that everything outside will be growing just as fast as the stuff in the greenhouse  :lol:
Potatoes sprouting (did a bit of earthing up), broad beans taken lovely, carrots sprouting up, onions shooting nicely, raspberries shooting leaves and so much ...................weed arrrrgggghhh
spent all day clearing weed and putting in main crop of spuds with my OH.
Interestingly, the last person to have our lottie must of grown spuds were my raspberries are planted and now i have spuds and raspberries growing in the same place  8)  I was about to remove the spuds but a fellow lotter persuaded me otherwise.

Well thanks for reading, just wanted to share my achievement, those that remember my initial posts will know most of this lot was planted in temps to 0 degrees in late march and pleased to see it all growing despite early fears.

Hope all yours are going well too, especially those who were as keen as I was in march and used the old "if its in the ground it will grow" excuse to get going.

Regards

Tony and Tor

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 22:22 »
Hi T and T, pleased that all your stuff is growing nicely.  Its a lovely feeling isn't it?  Yesterday I finished putting my onions in, and noticed that my shallots that I saved from last year's crop are sprouting, and my spring onions are coming up too.  Today I put some more potatoes in, and the ones that I planted in pots are doing really well!  on the minus side, yesterday I promised to go see my friend who wasn't very well and I'm trying to get her some cheap house insurance before she moves, but both our PC's seem to have cookie problems (but that's another story!!)  and as I went straight from work, my greenhouses were shut up all day, and I came home to shrivelled lupins and sweet peas, but it looks like I only lost 2 tomato plants, all the others have come up nicely with some good watering.

OH wants me to get rid of my purple sprouting, because its in MY way, not his!!  and he said that stuffs bolting, No Brian, its SUPPOSED to look like that!!! lol  Mind you, it is in my way, but I don't want to get rid of it yet, its still sprouting!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 23:46 »
Well it's nice to read something so positive - I've had a yucky day trying to get the greenhouse up and wondering if it's all worth it!
Putting my positive hat on - the spuds are popping through, the garlic looks brilliant and the onions / shallots are doing well too.
The sweetcorn is ready to be planted and the tomatoes are waiting to go into the greenhouse border. Oops I said the G word!
And in the words of the famous diarist
And so to bed
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:45 »
I know exactly what you mean Tony and Tor - you might have gathered from my other posts that I'm completely new to this and a few weeks back I was wondering if it was really worth all the bother.  It snowed the day after I've planted everything, the slugs came along in the night and munched at everything, the pigeons took a liking to the few seedlings I had... and so on.  Then last week it just all came together - my potatoes literally sprung up out of nowhere (leaving me frantically trawling websites to figure out what earthing up means in real terms!), the lettuces look fab, tomatoes are going great guns and I have a lovely row of little carrots too.  Fantastic 8)

xx
Going along nicely.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 23:24
by blackisgreen
xx
It's coming along nicely!

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 16:24
by sunshineband
xx
The compost is rotting nicely - BUT!

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 17:16
by Guzzik
xx
garlic swelling nicely

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 10:25
by aelf

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 35 queries.