Harvesting Sweetcorn.

• 15 Replies

hubballi

Harvesting Sweetcorn.
« on: August 23, 2009, 14:08 »
I have some sweetcorn and the tips on the cobs have started to go brown. The cobs themselves still look undergrown and thinner than shop bought ones.

The question is, when do I know to pull them as I have tried peeling back the leaves but there are so many layers I don't want to damage the plant.

Is there any other way of telling ?

skywatcher

Re: Harvesting Sweetcorn.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 14:22 »
When they go a consistent chocolate brown then they are about ready. They are unlikely to reach the size you see in the shops but they do taste much better - no butter required. You can't do any harm by peeling the layers back but yes, there are many!

I have been cooking ours on the bbq, leaving a couple of layers of the leaves on, cook until the leaves go brown. They are delicious!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 14:33 »
 hubballi Hi,

I found that if you peel back the outer leaves on the cob too soon, it allows in all sorts of undesirables who soon make a mess of the tips. One method of testing without intervention is to feel the tip, if it is still a point then the cob has not filled out so leave it for a while. If you feel the tip is rounded then it is worth peeling back the outer leaves to check for ripeness; push your thumbnail into a kernel if the liquid is clear the cob is still not ready, but if the liquid is milky then just before you leave harvest it and get it into the pot as soon as you get home.

Just sublime! and worth all the effort. :D
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 22:28 »
I have picked my first last week and they were not fully mature with different sized kernel's but boy it was fantastic. 

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 15:01 »
picked my first at weekend, fantastic, last year I left them too long and they we inedible. Just put mine straight off the plant into the microwave for 4mins - peel back the leaves and bits and enjoy- family were queueing up in the kitchen :D :D

lightyears

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 15:40 »
We picked 10 cobs over the weekend and shared them around the family, ive had phone calls all morning asking for more lol! :D

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05 »
They are very small white looking cobs and the liquid is clear. Now it will let the slugs in.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 10:13 »
Hubballi don't forget you are quite a way north of some of us who are picking already.I would ask around and see how others are getting on locally I think the range for harvesting can be from mid august to end september depending on variety sowing time and weather.
I have been checking and it is hard to do without peeling back the leaves a bit. I had some on Tuesday and they were 95% ready. What we need is some sunshine for the "barbecue summer" to ripen them.   

You'll find they taste great once they are ready

Good luck HH
Keep digging

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:15 »
Mine aren't ready yet ... can't wait !!!!  Only put in 10 plants, will go for a maize maze next year !!!!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 20:45 »
We had our second ones today, the first lot last week were no ready (we ate them anyway)

I pulled back the top leaves and the tops looked formed and yellow and the rest of the cob was perfect. :D

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 18:58 »
dont bother cooking them!! We eat ours straight from the plant...Mmmmmm

SalJ1980

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 20:18 »
Hi Huballi, I'm in N. Wales not a million miles from you, and won't be picking my sweetcorn for a good couple of weeks yet. The tassels have started to go brown but they are not especially plump yet. I'm hoping they will ripen - last year I had loads of cobs but they never ripened and we didn't get to eat a single one!  :(
Sal

Organic...so far!

Riala

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 20:20 »
I appear to have a wasp problem on one of my sweetcorn..erm.. stalks?

They close to the bottom and there are 4 wasps, they have been there for 5 days now, all seem to be eating the stalk!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 21:13 »
Took my to sons to lotty last night with one of those little BQs u buy for £1.99.

Pulled 3 sweetcorns and they went straight on. Lovely.

Then we chargrilled  some tomatoes that where ready (money makers,red alert,gardners delight) mmmmmm.

Think i finally impressed 2 teenagers with the joys of lotty owning . O and the 1 can of beer each one was allowed helped ).
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:34 »
Took two dozen cobs to the church coffee morning & nearly started a riot!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

question
Harvesting Sweetcorn

Started by Bluebirdbank on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 08:20
by Kristen
xx
What are you harvesting now?

Started by AdrianH on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:27
by yummy
xx
What are you still harvesting?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:42
by Madame Cholet
xx
Harvesting PSB

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 12:57
by someoneorother

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 38 queries.