Yellowing Potato Leaves

• 8 Replies

Dai

• Experienced Member
Yellowing Potato Leaves
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:16 »
Hi all, im not sure whats causing this or if i should be worried at all. it has rained alot so maby it could be over watering?
rsz_yellow_potato_leaves.jpg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Yellowing Potato Leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:57 »
Could it be sun scorch on the tips/edges of the leaves? As you said, it's been raining a lot and the sun is strong when it comes through. One of mine has a couple of leaves that are similar, so I'd be v interested to hear what others think.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:05 »
Could be nitrogen deficiency - nitrogen is one of the first elements to be leached away in wet weather.

(Take your pick from THIS LOT - almost a brilliant website although the pics aren't of great quality and for me there are just too many possible options!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:12 »
One of my Pentland Javelins and one of my Sharpe's Express has exactly the same yellowing, but the other plants of both varieties do not.  Second earlies, Wilja and Charlotte are unaffected, as are Picasso and Cara, the maincrop just showing through.   I have a large barrel with Home Guard at home and they have no yellowing either.

I had ruled out a mineral / nutritional deficiency as I would have thought all plants in the same bed would be affected.   I haven't over watered.   They got a big soaking about 3 weeks back when we had a hot dry spell and this weekend when the heavens opened. 

Apart from the yellowing they look very healthy and new growth is unaffected.

A bit of a mystery.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:44 »
Some of mine went like this last year and I was advised to water with Epsom salts (my soil is very acidic) and hey presto it worked! I am now adding liming into my rotation :)

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 13:20 »
Mine were yellowing too so I watered with Epsom salts (really cheap from the chemists) and they perked up. 

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 17:22 »
Will the diluted Asprin work on potatoes like it does on tomatoes for blight resistance? 

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 18:40 »
Like AnneB, just 1 of my 24 Pentland Javelin plants is also effected in this way, so I too have almost ruled out any deficencies. Maybe it was just a dodgy seed potato...?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 19:28 »
Potatoes are closely related to tomatoes, and they both have very 'expressive' leaves, which can often lead you to think that something extremely nasty and possibly fatal is about to happen - sometimes it's true, but mostly it isn't anything that a slight change in the weather or a bit of extra feed and/or water won't fix.

xx
Yellowing potato leaves

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 00:29
by Paul Plots
clip
yellowing potato leaves

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2021, 09:41
by jambop
xx
Some yellowing of potato Leaves

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 00:59
by peapod
xx
Potato plants withering, yellowing and leaves rotting

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 22:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 39 queries.