What dog food

• 14 Replies

blackberryjam

What dog food
« on: December 06, 2013, 18:16 »
What dog food do you use, I'm currently feeding max on pedigree puppy food, I've just been doing some research on pedigree and it apparently it's not good for him ,I've also noticed he has runny stools. :wacko:

snowdrops

Re: What dog food
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 19:08 »
Son uses fish4dogs I think it is called,Maggie is big & strong & has nothing else apart from dog treats,no yorkie puds etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

blackberryjam

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 19:23 »
Thanks Snowdrop I've just looked it up  :) sounds good.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 20:00 »
I feed Max Green Dog salmon and trout or James Wellbeloved duck and rice, whichever there's an offer on. The one time I ran out and had to feed him wagg, neither of us were impressed with the results !

I buy online and it's delivered cheaper than going and fetching it !  :wacko:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 03:05 »
Sadly, in North America, most dry dog foods start with corn, then another grain, and neither are great for dogs. I've given up and now make my own dog food from real meat that I can get cheaply as 'dog cuts' mixed with fruit, vegetables, oats, and a special mix of grains and herbs that enhance dog health. It cooks up into a sort of meatloaf which I crumble into the bowl then add some dry dog food to one side because my pooch has an appetite. So far it's working; she loves her meals now and stools are less of a problem.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 06:31 »
Our Jack Russell has Bakers, and we always cook up some veg like chard and carrots with an Oxo cube, as it's all a bit meatier without the meat, and her teeth are kept spotless too!

She always has one of those  'rattys', (a short knotted piece of rope), and chews on that as well...

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 15:34 »
Our 2 JRT's are fed on Beta. Taz 9 weeks is on Beta Puppy, Scamps 3yrs is on Beta Active, never had any problems.
DSCF4010.JPG

bravemurphy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 16:24 »
Ours have backers complete its no hassle and they love it.

blackberryjam

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 17:11 »
Max appears to be okay no more loose stools since we have stopped giving him the wet food, he now has pedigree dry complete for puppy's. The only problem now is that he is a bit windy, we have tried bakers which made him windy and loose.
Just have to keep trying until  we find one that he likes and agrees with him.
I've sent off for a sample pack of fish4dogs and a few others. Problem is his so fussy. Just like  fudge our cat he won't eat anything other then science plan. :)

lacaya

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 23:58 »
You can compare the merits of various dog foods on this site:

whichdogfood.co.uk

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:11 »
what works for one dog may not work for another so often it is a case of trial and error.
Staffies are softer than you think.

mobilekat

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 14:55 »
We feed our dogs RAW
WE are lucky down in Devon to have a lady who deals directly with the local abattoirs, and provides bagged up frozen meats.
The dogs love it, and I like knowing its the cuts/'bits' that wouldn't otherwise get used- plus lots of tripe (ew smelly!!)
We then add 'Reduced to clear' from the supermarket, and other bits and pieces.
Since changing over one of our dogs who has always had a bad tum, and struggled to hold his weight is now having to watch his weight- and LOVES his dinner!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 16:32 »
We feed our dogs RAW
WE are lucky down in Devon to have a lady who deals directly with the local abattoirs, and provides bagged up frozen meats.
The dogs love it, and I like knowing its the cuts/'bits' that wouldn't otherwise get used- plus lots of tripe (ew smelly!!)
We then add 'Reduced to clear' from the supermarket, and other bits and pieces.
Since changing over one of our dogs who has always had a bad tum, and struggled to hold his weight is now having to watch his weight- and LOVES his dinner!

My cat eats mostly raw and no commercial food at all. Dried food made him violently sick and wet food was nearly as bad with only a couple of brands he could tolerate. So I read up on the raw food and thought there was nothing to be lost by trying. He now eats mostly raw chicken, kidney, liver etc. He gets some posher red meat if it is in the reduced bit at the supermarket and because I am concerned about him getting enough calcium as he doesn't eat the bones ( just picks them clean!), I give him a little sardine in spring water each day. His health is so much better, he has never had the vomiting episodes since I switched over, his coat has improved dramatically - he actually looks like a different cat. He used to have permanently itchy ears etc. They have also cleared up and to make things even better, it is cheaper than feeding commercial food.      ;)

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 21:19 »
Kira is raw fed as will Bruin be. Best thing I did was to swap her over to raw. If you would like more info, read the book 'Dogs Dinner' by Ann Ridyard, that will help you decide  ;)
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

blackberryjam

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 22:13 »
Kira is raw fed as will Bruin be. Best thing I did was to swap her over to raw. If you would like more info, read the book 'Dogs Dinner' by Ann Ridyard, that will help you decide  ;)

Thanks for the name of the book, will definitely buy it if we have any more problems . Max he's okay at present, we found out it was pigs ears and rawhide that was causing the problem with loose stools and passing wind.
But we have been advised to try a raw diet if it continues.

Kira and Bruin lovely names  :)

xx
cat food

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 07:33
by Muppetgirly
xx
What dog food?

Started by Sue33 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 07:16
by joyfull
xx
Dog food

Started by asd1 on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:46
by Mrs.Apron
xx
Dog food / colitis.

Started by JaK on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2016, 18:14
by sarajane

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 39 queries.