Neighbours don't want my eggs!

• 9 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Neighbours don't want my eggs!
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:06 »
I've given eggs to two of my three neighbours (and the elderly couple over the road just because they're lovely).  Today it was the turn of neighbour #3.  I really wanted them to have eggs because 'technically' my coop is too close to their boundary, so they are the ones most likely to hear my girls' operatic efforts when they lay an egg.

So I showed up proudly at their front door, with half a dozen of the freshest, cleanest, loveliest eggs you could imagine... only to be tiold "no thanks, we're vegans."   :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Neighbours don't want my eggs!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11 »
You can't please some people, can you  :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:08 »
Do they have a garden?

Perhaps you could give them some chicken manure instead (or is that too weird)? 

Or is using animal manure excluded from veganism too??? I've never been too sure on that point!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:37 »
That's right, they don't like manure either

They don't use anything animal related.  Shame when you think we're surrounded by animals and their by-products. It makes sense to use these resources but they have their reasons so we have to respect that.  Oh well, your eggs will be gratefully received by everyone else  :D

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 13:02 »
I sell eggs from my doorstep and had someone turn up to complain that they couldn't peel their eggs, so there had to be something wrong with them! I patiently had to explain that eggs at their freshest are impossible to peel and that supermarket eggs are slightly older (!) which is why they peel so easily.
I've also had some refuse blue or green eggs (my Legbar and Columbine) because they "look funny". Takes all sorts!  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 13:27 »
blue eggs look funny?   lol the supermarkets charge a premium now for coloured eggs!

Still, if we have patience, then we will eventually train all these silly people into enjoying lovely FRESH eggs!!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 13:32 »
Agreed Grannie Annie - I am now getting orders for my good fresh duck eggs - more than I can supply.  :)

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 16:28 »
I sell eggs from my doorstep and had someone turn up to complain that they couldn't peel their eggs, so there had to be something wrong with them! I patiently had to explain that eggs at their freshest are impossible to peel and that supermarket eggs are slightly older (!) which is why they peel so easily.
I've also had some refuse blue or green eggs (my Legbar and Columbine) because they "look funny". Takes all sorts!  :D

I've had the same issues with people when they first bought eggs from me but they were happy to be educated and willingly buy eggs each week. 
One of my friend's has a little girl and she will only eat eggs from my hens.  They've tried substituting shop bought ones but she can taste the difference and won't eat them apparently!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 17:36 »
Veganism always puzzled me.  Suppose it takes all sorts....

However, to keep things simple, for anyone contemplating conversion to the vegan philosophy, here is a list for Dawkinists of everything that was originally put on this planet with being eaten by humans as the prime purpose:
<list>

</list>

Of course there are things that have over the long years become selectively bred for that purpose, but the original source species..... well, no.

For those of use with some sort of belief in a deity the list is slightly more full:

<list>
everything on the planet including things under it, in the air above it, swimming in the sea, and even swimming in a rather nice gravy.
</list>

But (reverting with a lurch to the original thread subject), refusing fresh eggs?  Their loss for sure.  Someone who is daft enough to refuse fresh cackleberrries would even refuse bacon too.  Hard to get the head round, I know.    

As to others refusing blue eggs, we really look forward to southern-dwelling big sister getting some from her friend by way of swapsies and sharing the spoils with us on (all too infrequent) meet-ups.  If the people who refuse Helenaj's blueys don't want them, send them to me (the eggs, not the refuseniks)!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 17:40 by hamstergbert »
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 21:38 »
That's right, they don't like manure either

Really?! I didn't know that!   :ohmy:

I can't see a garden at their place anyway... their house is very big and seems to cover the entire piece of land it's on. 

Never mind, the other neighbours very happily accepted the extra eggs. :D

xx
I love my neighbours!!!

Started by francais on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 21:14
by Caralou
xx
Chicken staying in a neighbours coop!

Started by Mrs Mant on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 22:12
by Chicken star
xx
Yay eggs!

Started by SnooziSuzi on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 17:54
by emotion-2003
xx
First Eggs

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:23
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 30 queries.