Two (probably silly) questions about growing potatoes

• 6 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
To all you hardened pros these are probably daft questions but here goes.

I'm just digging up my first crop of tatties and am really pleased with them.  However, some of them are pretty small.  Can I keep these to use as seed potatoes?  If the answer's 'yes'  presumably I shall need to get them sprouting before planting but do I need to do anything else with them?  

My second question is about growing in tubs.  After all the discussion about growing tatties in tubs for ease in the winter I've got two large tubs for this purpose.   One is actually a proper potato barrel that I was given as a birthday pressie a few years ago but on the one occasion I had a go at using it it was a disaster.  The instructions said to fill to about a third, plant the tatties and as they started to sprout to add soil/compost to it so that the stalks were always trying to grow taller and thus increasing the yield.  I did this religiously but to no avail.  I'd have done better eating the seed potatoes I'd planted as the yield wouldn't have kept an anorexic mouse alive.  

With this in mind I'm not sure I want to try that method again!  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 18:03 »
Hi Novice

I'm no expert but I know it's not a good idea to sow your own crop as there is a high chance you'll create disease in the soil.

Seed spuds are grown for this purpose only.

So yes...your 1st question was stupid...only kidding.  8)

PUP!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 18:09 »
It's always wise to buy certified seed potatoe rather than use your own  :wink:

Some small ones are normal in an average harvest.  If they had been all small, it could have been any number of reasons such as too little water (we had a very dry spring/early summer in Nottingham), not enough sunlight, not enough nutrients (or too much of one sort which encouraged leaf growth rather than tuber formation)

As for growing in tubs, I have had no problems but the yield is admittedly sometimes smaller than from the ground, but you have to bear in mind the limited nutrients & growing space that would be available to the plant while in a pot.  How many potatoes did you plant in how much compost/soil?   I would only plant 1 seed potatoe per tub, but of course I have no idea what size you are talking.  Have to admit I have not come across a tub sold specifically for growing potatoes so I can't really help you there.

PS no question is stupid if you don't know the answer :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 00:06 »
I personally save the small spuds to use as seeds the next year. We just store them in their own container (so we don't eat them) with the other spuds and come spring, they're chitting on their own, ready for planting. I wouldn't do this too many years in a row as you can perpetuate diseases.

And just as its necessary to yearly rotate spuds in the yard, barrel soil must be changed as well. I've never had luck either building the barrel as you did. I'd put about 2/3 full, insert the seeds into the soil, and build from there which would be similar to 'hilling up'. I'm assuming drainage is good int he barrel and you're using lots of manure and/or compst - spuds are heavy feeders in reality. And go easy on watering.

Cleo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:20 »
Not a problem if you plant in a barrel :-)

cacran

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 19:33 »
I too was wondering about planting the tiny potatoes, next year, but have been dissuaded now. Last year I must have left quite a lot of small ones in by mistake as I had an even better crop this year of Desiree and I hadn't planted them. Sadly they came up in the wrong place amongst another crop, which ruined my crop rotation routine. I may have inadvertantly left some in this time too.  Eventually,I could just have an allotment full of potatoes!!!
Keep on trucking

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 20:53 »
I was wondering earlier this year, when picking my seed potatoes, do big potatoes have big offspring? I was picking smaller ones to get the most I could for the least weight but my crop of picasso have all been small whilst my neighbour has the same variety and spud the size of house bricks! :shock:

xx
Silly (possibly) questions regarding potatoes

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 20:16
by DD.
xx
2 silly questions....

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 22:39
by Annie
xx
silly spud questions

Started by chickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:21
by chickchick
xx
silly questions oops

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 17:19
by kezlou

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 33 queries.