Egg Membrane

• 8 Replies

Chino999

Egg Membrane
« on: January 24, 2011, 18:48 »
Advice please! My two Buff Orpingtons started to lay just after Christmas which was a bit of a surprise. They are now laying regularly but we've noticed that the egg membrane is much tougher than the conventional shop-bought eggs that we've previously had. Is this normal, for the breed maybe, or do we need to adjust their diet. They have the run of the garden and eat pretty much anything they find, including of course the layer pellets and organic grains that we provide for them.

Any thoughts?

bantam novice

Re: Egg Membrane
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 19:27 »
Hello Chino999
Welcome to the forum and the wacky world of henaholics  :)
I'm afraid I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon to advise you.
In the meantime good luck and happy chicken keeping  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 19:33 »
I think that what you are experiencing (for the first time?) is proper eggs. I wouldn't worry one bit. As you say they have free range, layers pellets that sounds bountiful. Just make sure you also offer grit and oyster shell....although I suspect you probably do.

Buff Orpingtons are just dear things. I used to have five and a cockerel called Peter. Sweet natured and gentle.

OL

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 19:40 »
Hi and welcome, I would say it is normal
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 20:17 »
My shells are like concrete so i will go with it being normal for your birds bless them.

SocksOn

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 21:04 »
Ours are the same, I was wondering the same thing, good to know we aren't the only ones!   :)

Chino999

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:00 »
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everybody. Our girls certainly seem to be quite happy and the eggs are delicious!

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:13 »
That is a normal fresh egg. Enjoy them.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 15:08 »
Yeap it really is just a FRESH egg.  Im a newbie, normally i put the eggs on the Skelter so they may not get used for a week but today when i went to get Ruby's egg i noticed a small dent like she had pecked it or something, so decided to have it for dinner. when i cracked it, the shell broke but the egg stayed whole, actually had to pierce it with a knife!   So yep 'just' a lovely very fresh egg  :D
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

xx
Mypex plastic weed membrane - chicken proof?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 08:56
by joyfull

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 35 queries.