Goosegogs

• 6 Replies

makedoandmend

Goosegogs
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:27 »
Folks,

I love goosegogs and grew them very successfully for years, with no real attention.

For the last 4-5 years however I have been plagued by mildew and sawfly.

Previously I've cut them back - really brutally, but I obviously had no fruit the first year. The second year I lost all the fruit to an early frost.

This year I re-planted the bushes in fresh compost and washed the old soil / compost off the root ball, I used underground watering pipework and Vitax organic to try and tackle the Mildew. The bush recovered with some second year growth, so I was hopeful.

Despite my best efforts I'm back to square one. I have concluded that once mildewed I can't eradicate it from the old wood. The sawfly problem - well I don't know what to think.

I have decided to replant new bushes next year and would like a mildew resistant ( green variety if poss) recommendation.

I would be happy to try a combination of green, red and yellow as long as one bush is green.

thanks,

Makedo.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Goosegogs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:44 »
Try here, which has a list of resistant varieties:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=739

I have Hinnomaki and Invicta, but am new to growing so no previous knowledge of either. Squirrels have taken nearly all my fruit this year.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:11 by surbie100 »

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:09 »
Invista, Greenfinch and the Hinnomaki varieties, red, white and yellow, seem the main options for mildew resistance.
There are 2 varieties - Black Velvet and Worcestershire berry that are classed with gooseberry's but having grown Black Velvet I would avoid. They are current sized and although they crop well the bushes will take a lot of blood out of you. They are really spiky and evil, I gave up with them as they just were too much of a problem.

There seems to be a new one called Martlet (Red) available.

Try the Chris Bowers site as they have a side tab for Mildew resistance selection, at least it gives the names.

http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/category/gooseberries/

makedoandmend

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56 »
Thanks Surbie100 and AnnieB,

Invicta seems to be the one to go for, I'll see if I can source some bushes locally.

Kind regards,

Makedo.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 14:27 »
Thanks Surbie100 and AnnieB,

Invicta seems to be the one to go for, I'll see if I can source some bushes locally.

Kind regards,

Makedo.
I have given up with mine which produce big berries but most of them are wasted to mildew. Yesterday I ordered 3 invicta bushes from Amazon - I will let you know what they are like when they arrive.

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 16:04 »
I grow my Invicta as cordons against a fence  and get very good cropping. Advantage of cordons is  good air circulation ,and easy to net against bird attacks . Keep mine about 6ft high for ease of picking.
Bish

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 17:45 »
I got mine from Blackmoors, really good quality stuff and great customer service.

xx
goosegogs

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 12:52
by Chiswickian
xx
Poor goosegogs

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 07:42
by willowman
xx
Troublesome goosegogs

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 12:15
by DD.
xx
Moved some Goosegogs

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 05:35
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 29 queries.