Age for layers pellets

• 7 Replies

carolbriar

Age for layers pellets
« on: December 05, 2009, 20:07 »
I have three girls who are approximately 19 weeks old now.  They are on growers mash which I got from the breeder.  At what age should you put them onto layers mash/pellets?  I have only had them for 3 weeks and know that it can take quite a while for them to settle and also its the short days during the winter when they can stop laying but wondered when would be the best age to switch them over to the layers???  At what average age would you expect to get eggs from Sussex and Marans?  I don't mind when they lay as I am just enjoying having them at the moment.  Thanks

Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

dizzylizzie

Re: Age for layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 20:10 »
Hi, i would start mixing it in with the growers you have. increase the amount of layers till they get used to it :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 20:20 »
I agree with Lizzie start mixing the two now and gradually increase the amount of layers until that is all they are on. I normally start mine between the ages of 16 - 18 weeks just in case they start to lay (although this time of the year yours may not lay until the nights start drawing out after December 22nd  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 23:00 »
My Light Sussex girls are about 31 weeks now.  2 have been laying for a couple of weeks, but the other 2 are still ladies in waiting!!!   :happy:

I usually switch mine over to layers pellets at 15 weeks so like the others say, start introducing it to their feed now. 

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:15 »
Thanks everyone.  I will get some layers pellets/mash tomorrow.  Do most people use pellets rather than mash?  If so, why?  My grls are on mash because that is what they were brought up on and I didn't want to change anything at the beginning.  I will have to find a friend to give the rest of the growers food to as I still have a lottttttttt in the 25kg bag.  I will feel happier with them on layers as then, when they lay their first egg we can eat it! :lol:  I believe when they are on growers you shouldn't eat the eggs because of something they put in the food - is that right??

Carolbriar :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:33 »
most growers contain anti cocci in them (unless it is organic) so no you shouldn't eat the eggs. I feed pellets as mash can be messy and damp food can go mouldy quite quickly I do believe.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 15:54 »
I'm about to pick up three POL birds on Wednesday ... I only have layers at home, so unless the breeder can let me have some growers, they'll go straight onto layers.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:34 »
I got a trio of Light Sussex last year, the hens being from the same hatch. One started to lay early December and the other did not start until about March this year. At the end of the day they will lay when they are ready and if they start later it means they are likely to continue to lay later as they only have so many eggs to lay. So it evens itself out. Good luck, those first eggs are great. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
layers pellets

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 21:38
by BestBreast
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by Pat4d on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox
question
Layers pellets

Started by Holyfishcakes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:39
by Holyfishcakes
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by puddin1107 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:56
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 36 queries.