Ideas for furnishing run?

• 33 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Re: Ideas for furnishing run?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 17:02 »
I had a branch in my run and was warned off on another forum as they said it was a host for red mite to get into the run.  Has anyone any comment on this as you can imagine it really limits what we can put in for them to play on if we can't bring wood in from the garden.

Seems a bit over the top to me, (no offence intended!) and I don't really know that much about chickens tbh but loads of people put branches/tree trunks etc in them.

Was it just one person on the other forum or the general consensus of opinion from members there? Wasn't the omlet forum was it?  Just that with them being plastic houses the owners do seem a bit more concerned about contamination I think, maybe?

If it was just one big branch you had and were really worried couldn't you just dust it occasionally if you felt it necessary?

I asked another question earlier about do people dust their runs for red-mite, only one reply so far but it was my (Novice) understanding that the mites only come out to feed at night so I'd have thought it'd be pretty pointless hiding in places where there are no chickens at night!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 17:19 »
mites do only come out at night, and as most of us lock our chickens away at night i dont think there would be a problem. As my chickens are in the garden most of the time, they have access to all kind of things anyway. i would much rather them have a small chance of getting redmite from a log than sitting in a run with nothing to do in case what they are playing on happen to have red mite.....im with bashful badger on this one. :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 17:30 »
I haven't put it in yet, they've only been here 24 hours and I don't want to spook them, but I have an old plastic dustbin without a bottom (I cut it off and used it as a raised bed for root veg) that I think they may enjoy.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 15:50 »
Ok, just to let you know, after getting an idea from here about the see-saw, my hubby has made the girls one......and they dont like it!...not only do they not like it, they shout,sqwark and side step around it! i have come to the conclusion that the 'toys' are to make us feel better for shutting them in a run, because they seem to love eating the pumpkins and sitting in the sun, scratting in the grass and eyeing up the fence(and looking for launch pads) .....but i will still continue to look for toys they they wont take offense to , or scream at like the martians have landed, in the hope that they will never get board of living with me and leg it to next doors garden :D

xx
Any ideas?

Started by tazlilly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 20:26
by wildwitchy
xx
Any ideas

Started by Bruce Rance on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 13:10
by too many girls
xx
Any ideas please

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 13:20
by bean
xx
Help Any Ideas

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 23:31
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.