Any ideas please

• 10 Replies

Jellyhead

Any ideas please
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:08 »
As you know we have rather a lot of lovely chooks now and recently had to part with some cockerels :cry: It took weeks to get Lily my 11 year old round to the idea that they had to go before they hurt each other and that if she wants more chicks (don't tell OH) :wink: then this is what we are going to have to do. I have also been explaining to her about HFW and the message he was trying to get across. She has decided that she will no longer eat Chicken Kievs (ready made jobbies) and her favourite or chicken nuggets or indeed anything chickeny unless its from a free range farm. I am very proud of her as we are now completely free range chicken eaters 8) . What I am thinking about doing is bringing on some chickens for the table. I dont even know if I am going to be any good at parting with them but I am thinking it would be in principal a good idea. Because of where we live I know a few people that would do "the deed" for us so I think I should try. However, Lily is dead against it. she says she would NEVER eat any of our chickens even tho I explained that we would get separate chickens and not name them etc. NO NO NO. Any ideas how I can get round this one please:?:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

WG.

Any ideas please
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:14 »
As you already know, I am rufty-tufty, haggis-bashing, whisky-swilling, hairy-chested, no-nonsense Scotsman.

I killed our ducks, plucked them, gutted them, cooked them and then ... ... pushed the meat around the plate because I couldn't eat it.  They did not have names.

wildeone

Any ideas please
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:17 »
Quote from: "WG."
As you already know, I am rufty-tufty, haggis-bashing, whisky-swilling, hairy-chested, no-nonsense Scotsman.

I killed our ducks, plucked them, gutted them, cooked them and then ... ... pushed the meat around the plate because I couldn't eat it.  They did not have names.
Aw bless! :wink:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Any ideas please
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:31 »

you big softy waggy....have a hug x

WG.

Any ideas please
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:33 »
As you now know, I am rufty-tufty, haggis-bashing, whisky-swilling, hairy-chested, no-nonsense, big-softy Scotsman.  :oops:

Selkie

Any ideas please
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:40 »
As you now know, I am rufty-tufty, haggis-bashing, whisky-swilling, hairy-chested, no-nonsense, big-softy Scotsman.  :oops:

Aw  :D

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Any ideas please
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08 »

We love you the better for it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Jellyhead

Any ideas please
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 12:18 »
Oh Waggy, that has made me doubt even more now :?  :? Bless ur little cottons tho. No naughty step for you for a change :lol:

Tessh

Any ideas please
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 12:54 »
To be honest I didn't tell my kids what had eaten ( a cockerel that was getting too loud for the neighbours) until a few days after they had eaten it, the oldest thought it tasted better than even shop brought free range. It was probably unfair but I didn't want the arguments and they were warned when the eggs first hatched that any cockerals would have to go.
Now they don't seem to mind the idea at all. I suppose it ends up as if you want to eat meat something has to die and its better if you know its had the best possible life first.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Any ideas please
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 12:54 »
It's a tight-rope that I'd suggest you wait before walking.

If you push your daughter into eating a home-reared chicken, she may have a knee-jerk reaction and decide to become a vegetarian.  IMHO, being veggie is something that people should avoid making a decision on until they're fully grown.

Maybe there's a middle ground.  Rear the meat birds.  Send them 'on holiday' (as they so wonderfully phrased it in Chicken Run) to get despatched, and have them to eat some time later without her knowing.  You can tell her it's a free range bird with your hand on your heart.  She need never know.  And she can just witness chooks having a happy life.  When the time's right in the future, maybe get your chicken travel agent to visit so that Lily can witness the provenance of her chicken dinner first hand, but I'd suggest not pushing that on anyone young.

bean

Any ideas please
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 13:20 »
When we first got our chickens I though the kids might start questioning us eating chicken - although we only have room for 4 'pets' at the moment. However, the first time I was preparing the chicken for lunch after we had our new pets, my 6 year old says ' is that one of our chickens'. I said 'no - we weren't going to eat them because they are our pets' He then said ' but if it was one of ours I bet it would be Letty coz she's the biggest!'    :D  No problem eating meat with name there!

xx
Any ideas please???

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 23:42
by Brambles
xx
Help Any Ideas

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 23:31
by hillfooter
xx
Any ideas what this one is please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 22:12
by Paul Plots
xx
Any ideas?

Started by tazlilly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 20:26
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 35 queries.