Golden Zuchinni

• 11 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Golden Zuchinni
« on: June 06, 2011, 17:31 »
Does anyone know - is the Golden Zuchinni variety of courgette supposed to have yellow leaves...?! (I'm hoping the clue is in the name - but it's entirely possible I've done something bad to it!).

fatcat1955

Re: Golden Zuchinni
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 17:56 »
Sorry , it has green leaves.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 18:08 »
Uh-oh! Know of any common reasons for yellow leaves on courgette plants...?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 18:40 »
How long have they been planted out, and how long did you harden them off for first?

Shock and cool temperatures are both bad news for any sort of cucurbit (but unlike cucumbers there is a reasonable chance they will recover!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

waxwing

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 19:07 »
The weather has not to good this year for the allotment. I have had the same problems and talking to others on the allotment, I seem not to be alone.

Very dry and windy, hot days and cold nights seem to have killed my cucumbers and my courgettes and pumpkins are not looking good.

My wife took my left over courgette plants to school for the kids to grow, she planted them some where sheltered in a warm spot and they are doing great and are loaded with flowers.

Steve

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 19:41 »
They were hardened off for about 3 weeks before planting out, and the other plants seem to be growing with some flowers - but they're all different varieties, so maybe this one is a bit more sensitive. And you're right Steve/Waxwing - we've certainly had some changeable weather here!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 22:26 »
Can you build a small plastic cloche over them until the weather settles down? This will give a lot of protection and needed warmth. When they start to flower you can lift off the cloche for pollination.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 23:30 »
Kajazy, I have exactly the same problem!  No issue with any other courgettes in the same bed, yet the yellow courgette has an issue.  I watered it with epsom salts today to see whether this will make any difference.  I wondered if there was something in the manure I mulched the bed with back in February.

It doesn't seem to be making any difference with its fruit production though thank goodness.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:26 »
Glad to know I'm not alone! I was also concerned about the manure, but since the other plants are in the same muck, I'm hoping it's not that. I'm in the process of making a little make-shift cloche, to see if that helps. Let me know how you get on with the epsom salts (what do they do, by the way?)

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54 »
Hi, we are growing golden zuchini to and they also have yellow leaves.  We had the same problem last year too!  Didn't cause any problems they still cropped well and we treated them the same  :tongue2:

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 16:35 »
Same here - my yellow courgette has yellow leaves, none of the other (different)squash/courgettes in the same bed do. Having never grown them before, I presumed it was normal?! :ohmy: :wacko: And  have to say, its a different sort of yellow leaves to when my cucumbers comitted suicide so I'm tempted to leave it be, seeing as its growing really well in all other respects.

This one was not grown from seed by myself but was a gift from a friend - I'm growing some more yellow ones suitable for containers which I sowed only a few days a go - it will be interesting to see what they turn out like...  ::)

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 20:09 »
Many yellow courgette varieties naturally have yellowy leaves. Nothing to worry about!!

xx
Golden Wonder

Started by Moosley on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 10:51
by senrab_nhoj
xx
Golden wonder

Started by Motivator on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 20:05
by Ice
xx
golden wonder

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 19:36
by Motivator
xx
Golden sunrise problem

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 06:39
by Springlands

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 33 queries.