hats of to ALDI

• 10 Replies

rowlandwells

hats of to ALDI
« on: November 22, 2018, 18:39 »
took the wife shopping yesterday first call Tesco very disappointed and disillusioned with Tesco there veg section was abysmal the swede was cut in pieces and had mould on it cost 50p the cauliflowers where not up to Tesco  standard cost £1.00 so we  only bought  a few items and went over to Aldi Cauliflower very fresh and a good size 50P each a good size swede 50p we also found both Aldi and BM where we also shopped at yesterday where better value  than Tesco for the same products  >:(

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: hats of to ALDI
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 18:52 »
in my local Tesco large swede 59p on offer.
 haven't cooked yet so cant comment on taste.
aldi has some cracking deals in their super 6

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 19:38 »
Mercifully the only veg I have to buy in at the moment are tomatoes, although when my own stuff runs out I find Asda (in Worcester at least) are decent quality and price.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 20:22 »
Lidl has best value and freshest veg but unfortunately it's a bus ride and quite a walk away :(
Sainsbury's and Asda are also awkward to get to without a car.
So it's usually Tesco (nearest of the big s/ms) or the corner shop Co op for me - so I tend to rely on frozen veg, if I want something I haven't managed to grow myself.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 20:44 »
Lidl has best value and freshest veg but unfortunately it's a bus ride and quite a walk away :(
Sainsbury's and Asda are also awkward to get to without a car.
So it's usually Tesco (nearest of the big s/ms) or the corner shop Co op for me - so I tend to rely on frozen veg, if I want something I haven't managed to grow myself.

There's a lot to say about frozen veg, these days it's flash frozen on picking so is often technically fresher than the fresh stuff.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 17:50 »
yes I have to agree with you plot 1 P I went into ASDA today and there veg was of a good standard and  I also take point about getting a bus to shop as our local l bus service is to cut in the new year because the council are withdrawing the subsidy for this service that will effect many people who use the bus for a day out shopping especially the older generation who also rely on the bus for hospital appointments

can't comment on Lidl MUM don't use it  ;)

god bless our district council for taking away this subsidy  :mad:

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 13:11 »
We're very lucky here because our nearest supermarket is Booth's and they buy in local veg which are very good and last a long time. For some other branded items like canned foods, sauces, etc we go to B&M Bargains on the edge of town as they are much cheaper, so we get the best of both worlds. If we didn't have a car we'd have to walk a mile and a half down the lane to the nearest bus stop, do the shopping, then trudge back to the bus station to catch one of the four-hourly buses then walk back down the lane. We'd end up with arms like orang-utangs! :blush:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 19:10 »
You know Goosey you'd probably do what a lot of people do in your situation and order online.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 12:59 »
Thanks Christine. Fortunately we have a car to get there and back, also my OH does the cooking and likes to see the veg, fruit etc so he can choose which ones he wants. When we are unable to drive we'd get a taxi from a firm we've often used and he's not over-priced by any means. I do order stuff on-line but not food as you aren't always sure if you'd get the right items.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 15:01 »
A few times recently, I have looked in Iceland.  Its that or M and S in the Town.  I was impressed with the selections of fresh, frozen and general food cupboard items.  You can order online from them, but also if you spend more than £25 in store they will deliver to your door.   Sometimes it is not always the same day, but it is kept frozen until the next day when it arrives on my kitchen floor.
As for veg, my wrist is still in the splint, so cannot cut anything anyway. :(  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 18:08 »
I hope you get your wrist better soon Mrs B I to like Iceland there's large Iceland opened in Rugby  it to is very good value

xx
Aldi chicken manure

Started by Gleavo on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2020, 12:41
by Gleavo
xx
Kevin the Carrot/Aldi

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2020, 23:32
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 50 queries.