Rabbit has a new run (topic with photos!!)

• 38 Replies

dizzylizzie

Re: Rabbit has a new run (topic with photos!!)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:02 »

Oh, okay  :)

try doing a bit of research. You should do that before getting an animal. Lots of people will tell you they eep them together without problems, suppose it depends if you want to take that risk

I don't need to do any research on keeping rabbits, but Minty is due to have her yearly vaccinations anytime now, so will ask the vet if he thinks rabbits and guinea pigs get along.
[/quote]

Really? you were unaware of the different nutritional needs ???

Pretty Chick

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 08:07 »
Look, I don't know much about guinea pigs, but I know a lot about rabbits. I would have to do some research on guinea pigs if the vet says Minty would be fine with a guinea pig friend.
All lives are precious.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:17 »
scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link-info on keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together

http://www.rodentswithattitude.co.uk/generalcare_firsttimeowners.html

Pretty Chick

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 08:20 »
I'll take a look then  :)
Thanks Lizzie

Hawkins

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:13 »
I know what lizzie is saying about piggies and buns but I have 2 rabbits and 2 piggies and they all live together in one massive shed and have access to outside as well. I do however make sure that there are lots of stools and hidy holes for the pigs to hide under. I think im just lucky but have heard some horrible stories.

And your bunny is so cute defo need a close up picture. maybe another bunny as company ?. big hugs to gorgeous minty
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 22:19 »
My sister in law has both rabbits and guinea pigs together (she has 4 rabbits and six guinea pigs) and they are all ok so guess she must be lucky like you Em  :)

Actually PC that is one cute bunny especially as I don't have to clean it out  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 23:28 »
The trouble with rabbits and guinea pigs is that sometimes it works fine which lulls people in to the idea that it's a good idea, cos when it goes wrong the guinea pig can end up seriously injured.

Think about it from the animals point of view too, they communicate in totally different ways. If you've met guinea pigs, they are really vocal. Where as rabbits make very few noises (and only with extreme emotions eg aggression (growling) - they rely on body posture and ear signals to communicate. So when you keep them together you are keeping animals that can't communicate with each other and have totally different signals for 'you are annoying me a bit go away' and even 'I love you'. At best that means they are rubbish company for each other and at worst that they misunderstand each other, miss warning signals and get hurt.

The RSPCA recommends against keeping the two together, any good small animal vet will too.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05 »
Thanks everyone  ;).

Having read your replies, I don't really want to take that risk, so I don't think I'll be buying Minty a new guinea pig friend. Besides, she loves hopping around the dogs, but the dogs are wary of her and walk away (Minty once gave them a friendly nibble on their legs ::)). The dogs (Toby and Alfie) are yorkshire terriers, so are quite small  :).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:07 by Pretty Chick »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 08:24 »
get Minty another rabbit friend then as it would be nice company for her (but not a boy unless one of them has been done).

Pretty Chick

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 08:37 »
get Minty another rabbit friend then as it would be nice company for her (but not a boy unless one of them has been done).

Yes, I read somewhere that rabbits don't really like to give birth.
I'm not sure if we have room because Minty lives inside and if we got another rabbit, it would have to live outside and we wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it outside (as you can see, we are worriers! ::)).

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 14:06 »
If you got her a friend they would live together in the same place - in or out. Rabbit's form really close bonds and get stressed when seperated. If you visit a rescue you can get a neutered male and they should help with the introductions.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 15:19 »
Yeah, I read the new guidelines about keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together and was really shocked. I am also one of those people who had a rabbit and a guinea pig together as a child and had no problems in fact, they totally doted on one another. The cutest thing was when the rabbit would lay down and lean his head forward and the guinea pig would lay across the rabbits neck and the rabbit would then flop his ears back over the guinea pig and they would lay like that having a cuddle. I don't know if it was because they were introduced as babies and grew up together or what. They were also kept in a huge run. That's not to say its 'right' to keep them together, just that it worked for us.

Unfortunately I have built up a very nasty intolerance to guinea pigs and a mild one to rabbits so keeping neither is an option for me! I'll just stick to my dog, 3 rats and 3 chickens!

I think your run and house are lovely Pretty Chick, I'm sure Minty will enjoy tucking into all that grass!

Pretty Chick

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 21:33 »
Wow, the information's pouring in!!!  :D   :happy:   :lol:

Thank you everybody for even more info  :)

Eumaeus

• The Island Smallholder
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 15:25 »
When we let one of our baby rabbits go to a friend of mine, they bought him a young female guinea pig for company.  They were both babies, and went from their litters to each other's company.  And they get along brilliantly - in fact the owner is starting to worry what will happen when one of them dies :(

But female rabbits are incredibly territorial, and if she has been on her own, you may find that she attacks anything you try to put in there for company - including a male rabbit :(

She looks lovely though - her dark eyes are stunning :)
Amateurs - built the Ark

Professionals?  They built the titanic

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 00:19 »
Yep, that's a good point. Females in particular are very territorial so if you do get her a friend you must make the introductions somewhere that's neutral territory. Don't just pop the new bun in her hutch!

xx
just found this topic!

Started by ceri green on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 16:03
by purplejaguar
xx
What to do with a lost rabbit?

Started by jimthejimjim on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 15:11
by stompy
xx
Rabbit treats

Started by Mulberry1990 on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 11:49
by bayleaf
xx
Rabbit Cages.

Started by fuzzy1983 on Pets without Feathers

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 10:57
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 33 queries.