We have the most gorgeous puppy here

• 50 Replies

Oliveview

We have the most gorgeous puppy here
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:55 »
Sadly though puppy has viral pneumonia, the vet said it is very hard to treat in young puppys  :(  Puppy is about 5 weeks old, her brother died about 3 weeks ago and her sister yesterday, she was dead when we arrived at the refuge. 
The pups were abandoned a day or so old outside the refuge, another dog adopted them as she had given birth a few days before.  She arrived at the refuge very pregnant.
The remaining two pups were fine, running about playing with each other, so the other one dying was a shock.  I didn´t like to bring her home here because of what Jim would say, but he said if it was only a few days or a week or so it would be no problem  :D  The pup is due to go to another house once weaned, but she will stay here until next Monday at least as she has to go back to the vet, if she is still alive.  I do hope this turns into a happy Christmas story. 
She is part poodle the vet thinks.  I am not going to tempt fate by taking a photo of her, if she is still with us next week I will post a photo.  She is a fluffy little thing,so soft and silky!
NO I AM NOT KEEPING HER     :lol: :lol:

Pamela

spottymint

Re: We have the most gorgeous puppy here
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 18:15 »
NO I AM NOT KEEPING HER 

Where have we heard this before ?  :D

I hope all goes well & it's a happy Christmas tail.   ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 19:31 »
She won´t eat or drink, I am syringing her water every 30 min or so.  I have tried to get her to eat but she won´t lap.  She has been feeding from her foster Mum until recently- when Mum´s milk has all but dried up and the two pups got teeth!
Pup has antibiotic medicine every 12 hours.   She is still making a noise breathing, but when I try to give her a drink she fights me like mad, so that must be a good sign? 
I wish she would eat or drink.  Would scrambled egg ba  a bad thing to give her?  She has puppy biscuit, I have ground it down and put water with it, so it is really more like a soup. Any suggestions?

Pamela 

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 21:15 »
Oh Pamela, I really do feel for you and I wish I could offer some useful advice but I don't know much about doglins (only kitties).  :(
Is there no one at the rescue that could advise you?  If you're on Facebook, it might be worth trying Dorset Dog Rescue as I believe some of Bessies brood went there and they certainly seem to know their stuff.  Happy to relay a message for you.
Sorry I can't be of more help but would hesitate to offer unqualified advice for fear of making things worse. 
Mags xx
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 21:22 »
Sorry I can't help either but sending you and the puppy hugs and hoping things will improve soon. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 07:36 »
Pup is still hanging in here, but cries when I try to feed her,  I have put some honey into her water, I thought she is getting some form of glucose into her.  Her breathing sounds so painful.  But at least he is still fighting me and not laying back giving up.  She has anti-biotic medicine every 12 hours. 
I had a suggestion on the Dorset dog rescue page about putting marmite on her gums, but I am worried about that because of the salt content, I don´t want to damage her kidneys as they must be struggling as it is.

Pamela
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:25 by oliveview »

spottymint

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 11:38 »
Honey is good, manuka is meant to be good as it's said to support gut bugs which are killed by antibiotics.

The rattle noise sounds like a respiratory infection, the antibiotics should help clear that.

Something with probiotics may help, not sure whats available in Spain, sorry. Best wishes.

Thrift

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 13:46 »
So sorry Pamela but this sounds really serious. If the pup is struggling to eat you could try going back to babyfood, complan, honey etc. Anything palatable and easy to swallow with as much nutrition as possible.

I started Bessie's pups on scrambled egg, minced chicken and tuna mixed with their cereal; in the past I have often used sardines ( nice and smelly, just what dogs like ) to encourage an appetite.

Good luck and hopefully good results.

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 17:04 »
There was some baby cereal at the refuge so I have bought that home for pup. I have made it very watery and feeding her 3 tsp every half hour.  So fingers crossed. We are taking her back to the vet tomorrow.

Pamela

maxyboo

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 22:19 »
Just wanted to say I hope little pup is doing ok and say you are doing a brilliant job.

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04 »
Pup is still with us this morning, she has just been given her antibiotic medicine and she is due an injection, we have it here to give to her, but she has so little ´spare´ skin we are going back to the vet to let them do it and to get her checked, incase she is dehydrated.   She was out of her bed and yapping like anything at 1am, I wish she would yap more!

Pamela

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 15:39 »
I hope things went weel at the vets Pamela.   :blink:

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 16:50 »
There was a different vet there this morning, she put in the injection for us and said pup is not dehydrated.  Pup is getting very annoyed when I try to feed her, she fights me like mad.  She gets out her bed and pee´s then walks back to her bed.  So fingers still crossed.

Pamela

Thrift

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 07:06 »
That pup seems to have a fighting spirit - good news that she is noisy anyway.

Great work Pamela!!  :happy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55 »
Biting the hand that feeds you sounds like a spirited little thing.  Any chance of a photo?   ;)

xx
Puppy will not eat puppy food

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 13:37
by arugula
xx
New Puppy!

Started by HelenK on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 16:12
by Thrift
xx
Puppy!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:32
by Oliveview
clip
welcome to our new puppy

Started by mjg000 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 09:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 38 queries.