Bird of prey

• 22 Replies

Madrat

• Experienced Member
Re: Bird of prey
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 14:59 »
I'm beginning to think it was a case of mistaken identity.  The hen that was injured was a cuckoo leghorn so not all that big, and we have lots of wood pigeon that hang around the garden,  I think a buzzard or goss halk or something made a mistake.  :(

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 16:13 »
I'm afraid it's probably nothing to do with mistaken identity - they'll take any type of bird.

They won't care if it's a large pigeon or a small chicken - they are both just meals to them!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 17:49 »
I expect that you will never find out what killed the bird, most birds of prey are opportunists, We have got most stuff flying around where I live, even red tailed kites. I have seen buzzards take live rabbits, and even dead ones while netting.

I wouldn't expect a sparrow hawk would take it, mind you I have seen a golder eagle take a fox. anyway it is nice to see the birds of prey back again, years ago you would hardly see any about.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 17:50 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 19:58 »
Yes. although loosing Twister is bad I never thought I would be even considering blaming a bird of pray, not in my life time.  I will get their part of the garden planted up with more cover.

trampyjoe

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 20:25 »
Red kites have made it to Bromley? Gonna have to look out for them next time I visit me dear old mum (spotting kites has gotta be better than watching those damn parakeets!).
Mark, did you see the footage of the golden eagles attacking young reindeer a few years back?

I'll agree that all birds of prey are opportunists and if a buzzard spotted an opportunity then it could've had the chickens.

Golden Eagle Video - Top of page

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 20:27 by trampyjoe »

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 21:03 »
I am about 3 miles from Bromley, the kites were up in Biggin Hill / Cudham last year. I have actually seen Buzzards over West Wickham last year using the thermals. My friend is a falconer., his friends eagle takes foxes,

He has had some lovely birds over the years, I can remember he had some kind of American kite, It attacked a poodle while out flying it, and a week later, it killed the neighbors cat . He would leave the bird tethered on a perch in the garden in the daytime.The cat was thinking the bird was dinner.. (no contest) he had to get rid of it. so a bird of prey can easily kill a chicken. Thanks for the link, having problems opening it
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 21:05 by Markw »

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 22:03 »
We have buzzard's in Leicestershire & Warwickshire.  My neighbour regularly sees red kites on his way to Oxford.

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 14:40 »
We have buzzard's in Leicestershire & Warwickshire.  My neighbour regularly sees red kites on his way to Oxford.

Buzzards are pretty much everywhere now, they are our most common raptor.

I get both them and Red Kits above the allotment in Leeds - fantastic to see!

xx
Bird of prey

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 19:35
by trinacooke
xx
Red Kites - The Bird of Prey Kind

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 00:27
by nnbreeder
xx
New Bird(s)

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 18:35
by Craigx
xx
Big Bird

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 13:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 34 queries.