Help poorly chicken

• 7 Replies

cleehillian

Help poorly chicken
« on: October 02, 2010, 13:59 »
Can someone tell me what is going on please. A couple of days ago I found one of our four Black Rocks dead. There were signs of blood and stringy bits near its vent so I assumed some sort of prolapse. Now another of our chickens is unwell it has soiling on its vent feathers(white) is hunched and clearly unwell. We have had no eggs today and I cleaned some watery, white /grey poo from the coop earlier. The Other two appear happy and healthly at the moment. Help! Just wanted to add our hens spend most of the day wandering around the garden we have had them since April and have had no problems prior to this. JUST LOOKED AGAIN, SHE HAS HARDLY MOVED THE LAST HOUR, TAIL DOWN, HEAD PULLED IN, BLINKING OFTEN, WHITE DIARRHOEA BEHIND......NOT LOOKING GOOD....IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 15:04 by cleehillian »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 15:34 »
is she egg bound? or perhaps trying to lay a softee? Try sitting her in a bath of warm water for at least 30 minutes this would relax her muscles and help her to pass an egg, keep the water warm by topping it up. Then remover her, towel dry her and then blow dry on a warm setting until properly dry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 19:42 »
What Joyfull says!

Good luck with your black rocks and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 19:56 »
Hi
Silly question probably, but have you wormed them?  :unsure:
Good luck anyway!
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

cleehillian

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 22:00 »
Thankyou all for your ideas. Today our poorly hen still had her tail down, head pulled in, soiled vent feathers but seemed to be moving around a little more. We brought her in and sat her in a sink of warm water for a while, towel dried then blow dried (which she seemed to really like) before returning her to the garden. Her tail was slightly more upward and she seemed a little happier. We bought some wormer and have mixed it with their food and now we are just waiting to see how she is tomorrow. Once again thankyou for your input and I will keep you informed of her progress.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 22:06 »
What wormer did you buy cleehillian ?  We only recommend flubenvet.

cleehillian

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12 »
We did indeed buy Flubenvet from our local Countrywide. Spkoke to the lady in the shop who also keeps chickens and had already read about wormers.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:56 »
Well that's good :)

Did you make sure that the hens all got an adequate dose of the flubenvet either by only allowing them to eat medicated feed (by stopping them free ranging for the week) or dosing them individually once a day with some treat that they like.

If you did that and she doesn't seem to be getting better she might need some antibiotics.

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 17:11
by 3Bluebelles
xx
poorly chicken, I think.

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 16:17
by crowndale
xx
Poorly chicken - help please.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 22:48
by ANHBUC
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by miss_t on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 22:34
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 39 queries.