What's the best product to put on the floor of the chicken run?

• 3 Replies

tracy66

Hi all

We currently have a couple of inches of straw and they seem happy scratching around on that but just wondered if it's the best/most hygenic thing for them to use?

I've read that some people just put sand in, i've also read positive things about hemcore?
Then obviously wood chips etc etc :wacko:

Just wondered what your thoughts are on the best to use, our run is covered and is on paving slabs so stays pretty much dry apart from a little bit of seapage with heavy rain around the edge of the run where the patio is a bit uneven!

Thanks
3 chooks - April, May & Julie
1 Retired Greyhound - June

Orpington

Re: What's the best product to put on the floor of the chicken run?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 15:15 »
I used to use woodshavings but now use a hemp product, in France where I live it is called Confilit, I think I have seen something in mags in U.K. called cosytoes, it was used first by people who keep horses  as there are no respiritory problems, I do not use straw as it can get very wet and in the winter one is clearing out every day.

dinosaw

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 15:51 »
I use aubiose which is a hempcore product for horses, around £9 for 20kg. I give a liberal sprinkle of stalosan f around the run on a weekly basis and then rake through and it has kept the run smelling sweet so no complaints. You would need kickboards around your run to contain the aubiose when they scratch through the stuff if you don't have them already.

tracy66

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 17:53 »
That's great many thanks for the replies.
We've put a layer of bricks all the way around the outside of the run to keep the straw(at the moment) from going everywhere, also will hopefully deter the foxes a bit as well!!

Went down to a local farm supplier this afternoon and got a bale of easibed which we'll try next weekend when we have a clean out.

xx
Chicken run floor

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 08:52
by Aunt Sally
xx
chicken run floor poll

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 20:51
by Abacus
xx
advice on chicken run floor needed!

Started by Angelina on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:12
by blossom1044
xx
Ideas for what to put down on the floor in a new chicken shed

Started by Kourtney on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2014, 00:32
by kopperdrake

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 32 queries.