Ideas for what to put down on the floor in a new chicken shed

• 8 Replies

Kourtney

I have just lost my young bantams to a fox attack. So considering if I should try again and use a brick built shed that forms part of  my courtyard and next to my house, rather than using the wooden chicken coup.  It has two doors and is large and airy.  It has a natural slope to one side, the floor is cobbled and concrete.  What should I put on the floor for the chicks? They will have access to an outdoor run, both grass and hard standing. Any advice gladly welcomed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 21:50 by Kourtney »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Sorry to hear you lost your bantams Kourtney and welcome to the forum  :)

Is the shed big enough to get the coop inside?  Just thinking it would save you building nest boxes and roosting perches as the hens will need these.

As for floor covering, you could use dust extracted sawdust or if the shed is more open and needs a more robust floor covering, bark chips  :)

compostqueen

I had bark chips (big size) and Aubiose/Easi bed kind of stuff in the run. They had access to the lawn and soily patches.  Spoilt rotten in fact  :D

The Aubiose is like the Amtico of poultry floorings.  It smells fab, soaks up moisture and smells. Keeps the birds feet clean too so they're not carting muck to bed  :)

Sassy

Don't use sawdust. I'm sure dust extracted shavings are what is meant.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

helens-hens

I have successfully uses Easibed for my covered run for the last couple of years. Easy to clean & poo pick!
Helen

AlecF

What did you use in the original coop? Changing from straw to baled wood shavings may mean that they peck a little of it up at first, in my experience, although they soon learn that's a waste of effort! I use the wood chips underneath a covering of straw, but just out of habit as it isn't really necessary.

grinling

how did the fox get in and how will you fox proof run area.
Standard is to L shape wire at least a spade depth outwards, some use weld mesh some chicken wire. You will also need to cover the outdoor roof area with same wire.

Sassy

Weld mesh preferable to chicken wire. Possible for fox to chew through chicken wire. :)

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
I'd go with dust extracted wood chippings personally. Once they're soiled they make a great mulch for around the base of fruit trees :)

question
Help needed for ideas of a chicken 'shed'

Started by Rubyroo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 19:02
by woodbwoodman
xx
Chicken run floor

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 08:52
by Aunt Sally
xx
What's the best product to put on the floor of the chicken run?

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 17:53
by tracy66
xx
chicken run floor poll

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 20:51
by Abacus

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 34 queries.