Horse manure

• 15 Replies

bobw1956

Horse manure
« on: August 22, 2012, 13:34 »
Hi all;

I,v just taken over a new allotment plot.I,ve removed the turf with a turf cutting machine,(the plot was previously a cricket pitch, some years ago)

The plot has yet to be dug over,I,m haveing a lorry load of horse manure (fresh) delivered shortly,would you advise.
1.Leave in a pile and wait for it to rot down.
2.Spread over plot until well rotted,then dig in.
3.dig in ready for the next growing season. ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Horse manure
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 13:47 »
I don't wish to scare you but have you made sure that your manure is not contaminated with Aminopyralid?

more details about the problem here

I'd leave it in a pile for now, then add it when you do your winter digging  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 14:03 »
I echo the concerns re-Aminopyralid - needs to be checked out before you do anything. If ok, I would spread it over your plot because it will deter any weed seeds from germinating (even now) and give you time to do other jobs; also it will rot down and/or be incorporated in the soil over winter and give you a nice sowing medium for next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 17:45 »
I have seen all over that not to use fresh horse manure on the plot and it should be left for a while to rot down... Even my plot neighbours tell me not to use the fresh stuff delivered free by a local horse stable.. All well and good advice.

I don't disagree with the advice as it is normal practice to use old rotted manure..
But I however have always used brand new fresh manure on my roof top garden tubs and now this year on the plot.. I have had a brilliant year with loads of veg even in with all the rain with the exception of a pathetic crop of spuds - this was due to the wet conditions..

Basically I double dug the whole plot with at least a 3-4" layer of fresh horse manure mixed with loads of shavings. I sprinkled a bit of normal general fertilizer and some chicken manure pellets.. As it's delivered free in bags I used loads of it..

Look at the pics and you will see the layered manure during digging in and the good overall crops I have grown with it.. I'm going to continue do it every year.. I have also done this in my flower garden each year for the last 5 or so years and it grows beautifully..  

IMG_0308_rs.jpg
IMG_0348 _rs.jpg
IMG_0477 _rs.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 17:55 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 17:56 »
The advice given on the gardening certificate course I attended was not to use fresh manure if you are going to plant on it soon.

However, you're suggesting putting it down and leaving it till next year.  That will be fine.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 17:58 »
Gavin, I see that you are adding fertiliser to the horse manure. This will go some way to counteract the effect of the wood shavings, which use up the nitrogen in the soil as they rot. This depletion of nitrogen can have a very noticeable effect on potatoes.

gavinjconway

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 18:00 »
Hi Yorkie and realfood - I agree with the concept but I personally find it works really well fresh.. I dig it in a bit in early spring and plant a couple of weeks later..

The fert and chicken pellets I put on is a mere sprinkling - not much at all..

allot2learn

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 18:09 »
I collect manure from the stables but it has been piled up in the yard for a while. I am going to start collecting it this week. It will be spread on the beds which need it and then left until march and then dug in. That will give it around seven months to have the winter weather and the birds to do their thing with it.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 19:32 »
Ah! So glad I read this thread! Now I have a few questions of my own. I am in a similar position, as in I have a plot that has had nothing grown on it, so here's what I intend doing:

a)Build my pallet compost bins in the corner.
b) Split the plot into four, and then start with one quarter.
c) Remove the grass turfs from that quarter and place them upside down in the compost bin.
d) Turn (with a spade/fork or rotovate) the remaining earth.
e) Spread fresh horse manure over the earth and leave until the spring.
f) Do the same with the other three quarters.

Questions:

Do you agree with my plan?
Do I need to cover the manure laden plot, or can it remain uncovered through until spring?

Answers/suggestions please?
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

gavinjconway

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 15:46 »
Ah! So glad I read this thread! Now I have a few questions of my own. I am in a similar position, as in I have a plot that has had nothing grown on it, so here's what I intend doing:

a)Build my pallet compost bins in the corner.
b) Split the plot into four, and then start with one quarter.
c) Remove the grass turfs from that quarter and place them upside down in the compost bin.
d) Turn (with a spade/fork or rotovate) the remaining earth.
e) Spread fresh horse manure over the earth and leave until the spring.
f) Do the same with the other three quarters.

Questions:

Do you agree with my plan?
Do I need to cover the manure laden plot, or can it remain uncovered through until spring?

Answers/suggestions please?

No other replies for you so here is mine - whether its right or not it worked for me..

I was in the same boat in November with my new plot... It was an absolute tip and had all sorts of forests of hedging and weeds and grass etc...

I covered with horse fresh manure in March, a few inches thick and double dug it all. I planted and grew loads of veg..  I would cover with manure just incorporate the grass with your digging if it has no seeds and is not couch. I would remove roots as much as possible from all grass and weeds. Do this a bit at a time and it is amazing how much you get done each time you go down. Remember you cant do it all at once - a bit each day and it is soon all done. Then let the worms and weather do their job.

I don't see any point in having seperate beds like divide into 4 etc... I use a cottage garden style and just plan to plant all the same family together and rotate using a 3 or 4 year rotation... It is a guide only and is not 100% accurate..

One should only rotovate if the soil is nice and workable. - I would still double dig if it has been fallow for a while.. Do it right for the start.

an ex cricket pitch as in bobw1956 case would definitely need double digging and loads of manure added to get it growing well. Also would be a wireworm ploblem after being a grass area for a few years so any spuds will get eaten so I would go for earlies only for a while.

Compost box in the corner sounds good..  I also love pallets and make all sorts from them!! What size is you plot allotment?

Due to rules of this site I can't point you directly to my website blog to see how I did what
etc.. but take a look at my profile anyway..

Hope this all helps.. it worked for me..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 16:32 »
it sounds to me as if the divide into quarters is just to break up the digging into manageable pieces - a sound plan ;)
It really doesn't matter how many pieces you devide the plot into, or not, just as long as it makes it workable for you :)

If you single dig and find that below that is still hard, and your back isn't up to double digging, then push the fork down into it and wiggle it about, this improves drainage and aeration without too much physical pain ::) It's important to get it right at the start- then, as long as you don't walk on the growing areas then you shouldn't need to dig much only when you trench for potatoes. Other than that forking over is all that is really necessary IMO.

fatcat1955

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 19:28 »
Gavin, I see that you are adding fertiliser to the horse manure. This will go some way to counteract the effect of the wood shavings, which use up the nitrogen in the soil as they rot. This depletion of nitrogen can have a very noticeable effect on potatoes.

Quite correct but the nitrogen will be returned to the soil once the wood shavings have de-composed. I personally would not add the fertiliser , i would spread the manure, let it rot down on the soil and then add the fertiser in the spring. I would also add that after the worm's have done their job, there will not be much left on top of the soil to dig in.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 20:11 »
So, the question still remains: after turning the ground and putting on manure, do I cover it or leave it to the elements? Will them pesky weeds grow through the manure?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 20:16 »
Gavin, I note that you had a poor crop of potatoes when using the horse manure and this I believe is due to the effect of nitrogen depletion while the wood shavings rot down and possibly also due to the effect of horse urine. I dug in a small amount of horse manure in 2 rows of potatoes and they were all stunted. The next 10 rows of potatoes had no horse manure, only chicken pellets, and they were superb, so it is not the effect of the rain, only the horse manure. Others on our allotments also complained on the effects of the horse manure, particularly on potatoes.

gavinjconway

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 20:55 »
Hi realfood.. I see what you are getting at and may well be the problem... but all our plotty neighbours had problems as we were sooo very wet.. Last year on my 2 garden shares I grew them exactly the same way and had bumper crops.. Dug a trench 18" deep.. laid horse manure, covered a bit and then some pellets and potato fert, then placed the tubers now at about 14" and covered and ridged to about 8" above ground. Not having to re-cover again. Maybe this year I'll try both methods like you did..

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Horse Manure

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 10:52
by simbamara
xx
Horse Manure

Started by TREGRAHOW on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 18:22
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 37 queries.