Ratte

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

Ratte
« on: January 27, 2018, 19:35 »
on the subject of potatoes Ratte is a new variety for us so I'm asking has anyone grew Ratte and how do you rate them both for cropping and flavour

compostqueen

Re: Ratte
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 21:21 »
I like Ratte very much and used to split a bag with an allotment pal.  I grow mine in tubs at home now as the spuds themselves are really small.  They have a nutty flavour. They are waxy and creamy. Steam them as it would be a crime to boil them to death  I love em 😃😋.  I grow them in fresh growbag compost and you get a decent yield.

They are called Asperge on the bags sometimes

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:54 »
thanks compostqeen I noted your advise in my garden log should the produce a crop I will be planting them on the allotments along with the other seed spuds as our ground does grow good potatoes will let you know how they produce at a later date  ;)

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 19:50 »
I've grown them for a couple of years now - and will grow them again this year. As Compostqueen says, they are quite small, so you get a lot of seed spuds in a 1.5kg bag. They are not heavy croppers, but if you like a waxy potato - really good in potato salad etc. - with a distinctive flavour, then you'll like them. That famous French chef (whose name escapes me at the moment) thinks they are the best potato available. Mind you, he would since they're a French spud!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:01 »
That famous French chef (whose name escapes me at the moment) thinks they are the best potato available. Mind you, he would since they're a French spud!
Raymond Blanc ...
In the best possible taste - Telegraph

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 17:41 »
I grew them for the first time last year. They cropped well. I used them as a second early and main crop salad potato. A really good taste and texture plus they've stored pretty well too. Their drawbacks for me were that I got a relatively large proportion of tiny ones per plant, and that blight resistance is low.

xx
Ratte seed potatoes

Started by Iain@JBA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 18:45
by Iain@JBA

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 44 queries.