Cabbage

• 5 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Cabbage
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:12 »
Ok, I know this sounds like a funny problem, but our Spring Cabbages taste really cabbagy and nasty.  Not nice cabbage flavour but reiminscent of the smell of rotting or overboiled cabbage.  They look beautiful, outside leaves of at least 14inches in diameter and nice firm hearts, but not nice to eat.   I have lost the packet and can't remember what they are, any ideas on what has happened here?  I have winter cabbage seedlings going and don't want to end up with the same problem. (Some thoughts, it has been very dry here for a month although we were trying to water, they are in a raised bed that we created from our lovely compost - too rich?  They should have been planted out much earlier than they were but we didn't have the room).

Thanks for your advice. :)

PS, first time we have grown cabbages that have actually grown to any size so we were so pleased and planning not to buy any more greens for he forseeable future, but seems we will have to.

Sid

• Experienced Member
Re: Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:20 »
Hi,
it could be timing and they have gone over slightly giving them a nasty taste.
Spring cabbage you usually harvest up to June,but someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to answer your question. :)
Another thing did you stick them in fridge a day or two before cooking?  I find that it can alter flavour of spring cabbage they don't always store well.
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:43 »
Thanks Sid, they did go in late hence harvesting them now, so maybe you are right about them being old, they were seedlings for ages cos of lack of space.  Re storage, we pick them and eat them straight away, no storage.  Think they might have to feed the compost heap instead of us, at least not completed wasted. :)

lisa80

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 13:47 »
I tried freezing cabbage once and it smelt and tasted just like you said when i cooked it ,wont do that again :)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 15:41 »
Bolting/ age makes most things taste bitter so it could be that.

Also (I know this isn’t the cooking section) but how you cook it makes a massive difference. Boil it and it will taste like school dinners, sauté it lightly with bacon, onion and a splash of water then it will be bright green and a completely different prospect to eat.

(Should add apple, sultana and a bit of vinegar also works as an alternative for the vegetarians out there).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 15:43 by Trebor »

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 22:03 »
Think it is age  :(, cooking - shown to steam for seconds.  Might have a go at saute but I think it is the compost heap for them over the weekend  :(

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
Which Cabbage?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 23:31
by Elaine G
xx
Red cabbage

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 14:22
by J_B

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 35 queries.