Cutworms

• 7 Replies

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
Cutworms
« on: April 26, 2013, 13:15 »
My sprouts have been nipped off at ground level and as they are netted I suspect cutworm.
Years ago  I used a granule pest killer which was effective but no longer available.
Is there a pesticide that protects from this ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Beetroot queen

Re: Cutworms
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 13:40 »
Are cut worms the ones that chop lettuce off at ground level too. My lettuce looked lovely and then it started to wilt and on clooser inspection it looked like someone had neatly just chopped it off the stem.  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 14:13 »
There are no pesticides for cutworm.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 16:32 »
If you do suspect cutworms it pays to dig in the soil close to the plant. Often you will find the green/brown catterpillar within an inch or two waiting to move on to the next plant under cover of darkness.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:28 »
My very simple and 100% effective cure is to slide a twig immediately beside the plant stem so they're touching (but not disturbing the roots) and just into the soil about 1/2". That's it.

Cut worms must touch their nose to their tails, so to speak, to chew and if they can't do that then they can't chew. The twig adds extra thickness to eliminate their chances to do damage. Also furtle about in the soil to see if you can find the little devils.

Some people have slit a short length of plastic straw and slipped it onto the stem and just into the soil. Does the same job but is fiddly to put on without damaging the stem.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:06 »
Is Nemesys any good ?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:09 »
The Provado 'Utlimate Fruit & Veg Bug Killer' does say that it will kill 'caterpillars (including cutworm)', however, I've had a good read of the Bayer site and it doesn't say how you're supposed to get it so them and I can't imagine them lining up to be sprayed!  :lol:  Maybe a drench?   :unsure:

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 14:16 »
a v ery interesting post i have learnt lots of stuff from it...pelase keep it coming
tx

xx
bl***y cutworms

Started by tracy-fuerteventura on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 17:01
by Greengirl
xx
Cutworms

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 08:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 40 queries.