Feather Pecking

• 24 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Feather Pecking
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 14:24 »
Fingers crossed for you Abby!!!  Hope they behave themselves this time.  Sorry about the red mite too!!!

karlooben

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 20:15 »
i have one that adores anothers tail poor thing aint got much of a tail left . also some main wing feathers are going missing on a couple of the girls but i am not sure if its time for them to moult yet .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Miller

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 16:45 »
Looking good on the pecking front - beak rings applied last night and the two peckers allowed together - spent all night together and no sign of more pecking - proof will be when we get home from work  ::)     

The worst pecker kept trying and then sitting down in a huff when she got no feathers  :D   

They sound dead strange as they keep clacking their beaks against the rings trying to shut their beaks and sound like a pair of flamenco dancers with their castanets  ???

coxyMFC

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 21:12 »
hey, ive rescued some ex batt hens today and put them in with my girls. the ex batts are rather bedraggled and the established girls are not helping by feather pulling and pecking. i am intrigued by these anti peck rings and how exactly they go on ? ive only had my girls for a few months and wonder what the process would be. thanks in advance for any help

andrew

karlooben

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 21:25 »
hi coxy did u seprate them or are they all mixed in as one group , new birds being added to an existing flock always need to be seprated first so they can get used to each other .

coxyMFC

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 21:27 »
yeah i did, but just with some chicken wire, the estblished birds are pecking whenever the new ones go near the wire.

karlooben

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 22:37 »
they should settle within a few days  :D

Miller

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 16:30 »
It was our newer ones that pecked not the existing ones  ???

Look on the link above for the rings and there is a pic - working brilliantly  :)

coxyMFC

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 21:25 »
yeah, i read your recommendation and bought some straight away (how can you not for a quid) .... theyve not arrived yet but how do you put them in ? do you have any tips ?

coxyMFC

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 20:02 »
the rings arrived today, decided to go with the fitting instructions in the packet, also read an advice page on the net recommending a pillowcase with a hole in it, chickens head popped through, and go from there .... anyway, we have 1 particularly boisterous chicken, insists on jumping fences and digging under chicken wire to get to the ex batts and then out and out attacks them. We followed the process and fitted her with a nose ring. the ring has been fitted correctly and the chicken returned to the rest. And she is having a proper strop, shes in no pain or discomfort because there is play in the nose ring, you can see it moving about, so its not tight. she is just sat in a corner with a pet lip out, she has eaten and drank so we know she is ok, shes just having a paddy accustomed with a 3yr old toddler

xx
Feather pecking

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 21:40
by beulah59
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.