mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leeks
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 11:00 »
Look like it :(

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 17:48 »
I planted mine out in clumps ala Charles Dowding & a first for me, they look to be doing ok, but just spotted a bit of rust under the environmesh  >:(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 07:27 »
I tried planting leeks in three potato bags this year, in decent compost and regularly watered.

The spacing was just a few inches - thirteen per bag, and the yield isn't that bad, although the plants nearest the wall they were up against, are much smaller.

The yield isn't bad for the area they're in, with the plants maxing at around an inch diameter, so I'll try again next year, in a different position!

Leeks are a fabulous veg, and a staple here! I saw some in a local shop at 90p each yesterday...!

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 09:48 »
As previously mentioned i have just over 100 in one spot all together and they all have it. Looks like most of the growing has been done. Far to many to trim each individual leek? I dont really want to strip the outside leaves incase the then exposed ones suffer from the same rust??

jambop

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 13:28 »
Rust is a real problem for me regarding Garlic but strangely not so much with the leeks. The problem is it is very wet here during the winter and into early spring and that is the best time to grow it here in my opinion. There is a lot of it produced nearby so they must have access to some potion to apply which prevents it taking hold... I think I will inquire  :D

Oldswan

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 19:11 »
Is Allium leaf miner especially bad this year? I have to germinate my seeds under fleece to stop them getting infected but once they were planted out I didn't cover them until the end of August and they look terrible. I thought the advice was that the fly which causes this was only active March/April and September/November but I seem to have been too late covering up in the last week in August. The bed hasn't been used for leeks before so there shouldn't have been pupae in the soil.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 07:50 »
In other years the Ally Miner hasn’t kept strictly to its allotted time slots either, nor has the leek moth. We get both so ours are covered with ultrafine mesh from the start and it's left on until well into winter.

xx
Leeks

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 23, 2016, 17:59
by AnneB
xx
leeks

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2006, 09:46
by mellowmick
xx
Leeks

Started by VegWill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 21:30
by Jonajo
xx
leeks

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 03:07
by leeky

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 48 queries.