New chicken owner - need advice please!!!

• 1 Replies

Maxi

New chicken owner - need advice please!!!
« on: July 01, 2010, 16:45 »
Hey,
I have 6 hens who are all fab and have been easier to keep than I thought.
I am having one problem though - they have pecked eachothers feathers but only on the bottoms! Not the tail but just under that.
I decided that their coop may be too small as it only hapens at night when they are locked away so I got them a larger coop. it has not helped.
So all 6 hens have naked bottoms!!! Appart from this they all seem happy and they are still laying. They run in the garden every day and still sociable.

I have also tried spraying them with blue dye as this was one thing I read that may help

I am not too worried but I thought it was just a 'stage' they were going through and would stop but it has been about 3 months now where they have had not feathers on their bottoms.

Any suggestions would be great as I hate to think it is something I am doing wrong

Max

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: New chicken owner - need advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 22:33 »
Have you actually witnessed your girls pecking each other,  baldness around the vent area usually means that their going through a moult but you have said this has been like this for 3 months, im not sure how long a bird takes to moult,  can you see any new feathers coming though, moulting can take alot out of them, and usually a hen will stop laying i think when they moult.   Other suggestions, have you carefully checked each girl over for mites/lice, again they usually start around the vent area and if they are infested this could lead to baldness.   If i were you i would get hold of each girlie and give them a real close check over, and prehaps spray them with some anti lice/mite spray (johnsons),     Let us know how you get on.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

xx
New chicken owner needs advice please!

Started by Angie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 22:46
by muntjac
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
new chicken owner

Started by loopilizzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:25
by jakinpeter

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 38 queries.