delphiniums/larkspur

• 6 Replies

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
delphiniums/larkspur
« on: January 21, 2011, 18:18 »
i have both types of seed...does anyone know wot the difference is?both look the same to me!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: delphiniums/larkspur
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 18:22 »
larkspur is an annual variety of Delphinium which is perennial  :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 19:21 »
Also larkspur are generally smaller,bushier plants and our's flowered till well into Autumn last year from spring sowing. The delphiniums flowered twice but they were three years old. Don't know how delphiniums do from seed, always buy plants.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 19:25 »
I've grown all the delphiniums in my garden from seed, they are easy. Sown early they often flower the first year :)

tallulah

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:14 »
I think the difference is that delphiniums are perennials, and larkspur are annuals.  I have been trying for years to establish delphinium in my garden but for some reason, they just don't like it much - feeble flower heads, prone to slug attack etc.  So I opted to fill in with some larkspur - they had more of a feathery fern-like leaf, and have a good range of colours (so do delphiniums though).  The larkspur did better than the delphinium, but I'm persevering with delphinium again, as I love the rich blues they flower in!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:25 »
I grew my Pacific Giant delphiniums from seed several years ago (although I have added the occasional bought plant to them since); I would say they are fairly easy to grow but the new shoots are probably one of slugs/snails favourite delicacies and can be virtually wiped out if you are not vigilant. (Don't seem to bother with them once the new stems are established though.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 15:25 »
I can grow delphs from seed but due to lack of space to keep seedlings plus a cat who will graze on anything green in the house, I find it easier to simply buy small delph plants in spring. I always make sure the planting hole is well amended and keep the plant watered and they've always done extremely well for me afterward because I then forget to feed them.  My Summer Skies delph sits in rock hard clay in the midst of climbing roses, coneflowers and bee balm and the show it still puts on is magnificent.

I remember a Gardener's World tip with Monty taking basal cuttings from delphs in spring to propagate them so your small investment can extend quite far.

xx
Delphiniums

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2007, 09:25
by Sheena
xx
Delphiniums

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 18:16
by Antonius
xx
Delphiniums

Started by Tinbasher on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:48
by Tinbasher
xx
delphiniums

Started by loobs61 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 09:02
by loobs61

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.