stroke of luck recently

• 13 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
stroke of luck recently
« on: January 08, 2011, 20:14 »
I went to my local FOCUS DIY store a few months back and bought a new spade £28 and their own brand Fork anyway before the frost came down hard I decided to dig the ground over with my new spade when the blinking thing snapped of right at the V shape on the spade stock.

Anyway I took it back and told the manager that I wanted to exchange it but wanted the more expensive one I think nearly £40 and said I would just pay the difference and off I went picked up the new spade and went to pay for it.

However when I got to the till to pay the balance they cashier said it was ok the manager said I could take the exchange? Now I'm not sure if they realised that I had picked up the more expensive one If they did then it was good that they didn't charge the difference If they didn't and I don't know why because I made it clear what my plan was then thats good to because either way I now have a strong spade now.

Just thought I'd share that just remembered and made me chuckle  :)
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: stroke of luck recently
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20 »
RESULT.  if anything like that is in my favour then I don't point it out.....I assume they know what they are doing.

If the mistake is in their favour I will of course complain...........customer is always right  :D

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:46 »
Was the one that snapped stainless steel ?
 Pretty but not up to hard work!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 15:22 »
That is lucky, sometimes happens like they only charged me £7 for a £45 shop at B&Q, when I questioned it the woman snapped at me and it was right, so i walked away with a brill deal thanks to the silly women :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 15:30 »
Lucky you! Mind, I've had stuff from B&Q before today they've not charged for. Of course I would have said if I had realised before getting home...... :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 16:28 »
Good for you but - re: your intial purchase - and please don't take this the wrong way - I always believe you get what you pay for, so buy the best as it should be designed well and last. If you are on a budget, it can be hard, but I got an old spade and fork from my local "antiques" centre which are lovely and used-looking, smooth with age and so stout and they cost £6 each.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 22:41 »
Normally I would agree with Goosegirl, but when I got my allotment I was wary of 'loosing' my good tools.
So I bought a stainless steel fork and spade for £3 and a trowel and hand fork for 50p in Tesco's sale. They are still going strong 4 years later  :lol:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 00:51 »
You're right, Elaine, but I think we could better qualify Goosegirl's reply with : buy better tools provided you know they'll be safe. Must admit that if I had a lotty, I'd never take good quality tools there as it would be asking to have them stolen. Sorry to be so negative, but  the reality is there's a lot of dishonest folk out there just watching and waiting.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 13:11 »
Good for you but - re: your intial purchase - and please don't take this the wrong way - I always believe you get what you pay for, so buy the best as it should be designed well and last. If you are on a budget, it can be hard, but I got an old spade and fork from my local "antiques" centre which are lovely and used-looking, smooth with age and so stout and they cost £6 each.  :)

No offence taken :tongue2: The original one that broke I thought was expensive anyway as I am really new to gardening at 45. But I can see now that it was cheep when looking at quality. Mind you I got a better stronger one at no extra cost so Wooooooo and it works a treat

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 16:36 »
Feel a bit bad now as I live in a secluded spot and hadn't thought about people having their tools nicked. What about taking them home with you? I know it's a faff but if I had a good tool I wouldn't leave it for someone to pinch. Sorry folks - rather inconsiderate of me.  :(

Thrift

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 16:44 »
I'm the same Goosegirl, never think of anything going astray as I'm out in the wilds. Allotments are a different matter ... you have the companionship and good advice, which is lovely, but you never know who will come prowling once everyone has gone home.  :(

noshed

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 16:53 »
Fortunately there are people on our site who never go home, as far as I can work out
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39 »
Some years ago I took my mum to Focus in our van to choose her internal doors for the bungalow my Dad was doing up, she chose what she wanted & I loaded 9 of them on to the trolley followed by 9 sets of handles & hinges etc. After a wait at the tills where 2 girls were more interested in discussing who they'd seen the night before & what they'd done with him my mum finally got charged for I door & 'furniture'. I promptly took it & loaded it into the van after kicking my mum in the shins to shut her up. Now I'm normally very honest but I felt if the shop wants to employ staff that can't tell the difference between 1 & 9 doors on a trolley,then it's there bad luck.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

tallulah

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:19 »
Feel a bit bad now as I live in a secluded spot and hadn't thought about people having their tools nicked. What about taking them home with you? I know it's a faff but if I had a good tool I wouldn't leave it for someone to pinch. Sorry folks - rather inconsiderate of me.  :(

When I had my allotment, I always took my tools home with me, and left the shed unlocked.  I decided to use it only for sanctuary on a rainy day, and to keep things that only a lunatic would want to nick.  :) :D

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.