Pruning a grape vine in winter

• 3 Replies

Tantalus39

Pruning a grape vine in winter
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:12 »
 I recently moved allotments and now have two twelve foot greenhouses each with a grape vine. The green one had been hacked right back to the stump but has come away well and I have trained it to the best of my knowledge (Internet). The black grape was in better condition and I did exactly the same with it and it produced many bunches of grapes, so I must have got something right. Now I am lost off as the internet does not seem to want to help when it comes to pruning it back in the Winter. I have read many articles some baffling and some saying to cut 90% of the new growth back and the other saying to cut back 30% of the new growth and that was from the ones I could understand. Looking through your site I found an article which said I had to prune right back to hard wood leaving two good buds. I don’t know if this is right or not but it seems to make more sense than the RHS one did.
Any chance of some help?

Peter

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pruning a grape vine in winter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 11:39 »
I just prune the main branches back to the end of the greenhouse wires and all the side shoots on those back to 1 or 2 buds, from which next year's shoots will grow. Any new stems from the main trunk that I don't want to grow I cut completely off.
Have a look here, starting just before the pictures half way down the page
https://urbanwinegrower.wordpress.co...e-fourth-year/

Don't worry though, they grow so quickly that if you make a mistake they'll grow more stems than you could ever need by next year LOL

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:37 »
mine is an outdoor one, and about 150 feet long over a pergola.    It is always covered in bunches of grapes, which I used to pick out with tweazers to let them swell.    I have always just cut mine back to the main stems.  Through the summer I hack it back wherever I don't want it.  I never feed it, and it just goes on producing more year in year out  -  keep it keen, treat it mean.    :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 19:51 »
Hi cut back to 2 buds then a good feed (grapes not you) with a general grow more,we used to prune Christmas day after a good feed (not the grapes)   jezza

xx
grape vine's

Started by Billyyoung on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 15:52
by YorkshireDave
xx
Grape vine in polytunnel

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2017, 08:27
by stompy
xx
grape vine in tunnel

Started by sonnycbr on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 20:30
by sonnycbr
clip
alien on grape vine

Started by daveylamp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 08:48
by daveylamp

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.