Pol warrens

• 5 Replies

Ellex

Pol warrens
« on: March 17, 2011, 23:19 »
Hi-recently moved and the house came with a lovely large chicken run and eglu! I bought 4 pol warrens a week ago and was (Rather optimistically I now realise) expecting eggs after a 'settling in' period. I appreciate 1 week is not long enough but what sort of timescale am I looking at? At the moment my 6yr old son runs down the garden every morning to let them out to free range but not sure how long I can take the sadness in his voice when he says 'no eggs today mommy' Lol. They seem very healthy & happy and are really friendly. All advice welcomed & appreciated. Thanks 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Pol warrens
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 00:01 »
Hi Ellex, and welcome to our chickeny world!  Lucky you to get left an eglu!  They are not cheap to buy and will last a long time, also their 2nd hand value is good too!

As to POL's, some people start to sell them as young as 14 weeks and say they are point of lay, but usually warrens will start to lay at around 18-24 weeks old, depending on many factors, they really need 16 hours of daylight to start laying well, so you'll just have to be a bit more patient!  Bt don't worry, the eggs will come when your girls are ready!!!   :) :)

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03 »
Hi Ellex welcome, the day will came when he will have joy in his voicewith the 1st egg. what colour are the chickens combs
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12 »
wow lucky you to get a house complete with an eglu  :)
Did the people you got the warrens off tell you how old the girls were? Besides the colour of the combs (will go bright red and larger when they are about ready to start laying) but if when you go near and a hen starts to stamp her feet on the ground and squat then again that is a sign (some people on here call it curtsying  :D).
What are you feeding them on - they should be on layers (either mash or preferably pellets).
Have you asked your local vets if they will treat poultry - always best to do this before you need one.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ellex

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 16:53 »
Thanks for all your advice. They are fed on mash. Yes the local vet does treat chickens-I asked before I bought them. The combs are redder in a couple than the others. One of them is a little larger than the others, she is very quite stand offish & spends a lot of time by herself although she seems to be coming round a bit. Today they all lay in the sun with their wings outstretched, it was so funny. Not sure on their exact age. One of them did appear to squat today but I thought she was just waiting to be picked up. Thanks again.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 22:24 »
going by what you have just written you will soon get your eggs  :D

xx
Warrens

Started by vichope74 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 15:56
by scabs
xx
what age do warrens lay?

Started by ryan4birch on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 07:57
by ryan4birch
xx
New Warrens

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 19:12
by Sassy
xx
Warrens

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 09:16
by WhatCameFirst

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 29 queries.