How do we prepare or girls for the winter?

• 5 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
How do we prepare or girls for the winter?
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:36 »
AS you all know, I have 3 ex batts. Their feathers are growing back nicely, but they aren't going to have full coverage by the time the really cold weather comes. Any tips on how to keep them warm at night? They have a coop suitable for 10 chickens, and only nellie perches, the other two refuse and have a nest box each, regardless of how often I turf them out. So they wont be cuddling up to keep warm and I'm worried the cold will take them :unsure:
THis could be an interesting topic for all being as the weathers going really cold next week, so all help, advice or tips and tricks would be most appreciated :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

carolbriar

Re: How do we prepare or girls for the winter?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:46 »
Mine don't perch.  I found last winter they all snuggled up together either in the house or in the nest box.  It was really cold last winter - it was -11c for several days and thankfully they were all fine.  We had a lot of snow as well.  The one thing to watch out for is the drafts which I believe can do them harm.  I think they are good at keeping themselves warm.  I will put an extra thick layer of shavings in aswell which should help.  I have one who has half moulted and I think one or two more that are about to start so hopefully they will be getting their feathers back before the really cold weather sets in.  For the daytime I have made a shelter so they can get out of the wind and rain and hopefully will put a dust bath in there for them but they usually choose their own dust bath so the one I put in might not be up to their high standards :D
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 13:23 »
There is a good thread on winter tips

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26974.0

or you can type winter tips in the search box in the top right hand corner

good luck!

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

josh5357

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 13:40 »
have you tried blocking off the nest boxes at night. this might encourage them to use the perch
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 17:11 by josh5357 »

pigeonpie

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 22:35 »
Our ex-batts all survived last winter despite not having many feathers and piles of snow.  Luckily they have a covered run as well as being able to free range so the only thing we did was to cover the sides of the run with plastic to prevent the wind and snow blowing in and there was a supply of food and water in there in case they didn't want to venture out but most days they were all found under the bushes or stood staring at the snow!
I would say that the most important thing is to make sure the hen house is free of drafts so perhaps a heavy blanket or tarpaulin over the hen house on really cold nights might help.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 00:30 »
Mine all decided to moult last year during a really cold snap, snow and all. Garden looked like a feather pillow had been emptied over the snow! Chickens were threadbare but managed to do fine, cuddling up etc at night and running around a lot keeping warm during the day.

Feeding cracked corn in the mornings during winter helps to raise their body temps, but don't use this as a staple feed. Mine also like warm porridge made with water! Also layers mash or pellets mixed with warm water.

xx
Should I prepare the coop and run now?

Started by red on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 13:38
by bantam novice
xx
how should i prepare layers mash??

Started by Tulip on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 11:35
by eggs on legs
xx
New coop-how to prepare for chooks

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 19:19
by daisy1990
xx
just started to prepare Christmas dinner!

Started by massa on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 12:53
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 29 queries.