Pheasants

• 5 Replies

Prod

Pheasants
« on: June 28, 2014, 22:55 »
My cottage is next to a churchyard and we have seen pheasants, Colin & Norma (don't ask), nesting in the graveyard for the last 3 years. They have sometimes come into our garden mainly to eat the food that drops from the wild bird feeders but they have now started coming into the small field where I keep the chickens which is not a problem but today I saw the hen actually eating from the Grandpa's feeder. I still don't mind but I am surprised that they have obviously learnt what to do by watching the chickens. Has anyone else come across this? The chickens don't seem bothered, should I be??

Sassy

Re: Pheasants
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 23:19 »
There is always the danger of nasties being passed from the wild bird population. However, I personally feel this has to be offset by the quality of life a free ranging chook has! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08 »
Many pheasant shoots have mechanical feeders in the woods to stop the birds straying too far so the pheasants may have been fed by those in the past.
I would not worry too much if your hens are inoculated , a bit more concern if they are home reared and not .
Short of keeping the hens indoors full time they have to take their chances with any wildlife born diseases.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14 »
I agree with both the above replies, the majority of my birds free range but I have 2 pens where I keep the cockerels and their little flocks. It is amazing how small a gap some birds can get through. I have a small, 2 bird, ark that my broody is in which has a built on run but each morning I was finding sparrows, robins and finches inside which I obviously let free when I opened the top. I could not work out how they were getting till I saw one fly down and go under the tiny gap beneath the coop, they literally must have crawled through.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 16:34 »
They can carry gapeworm..pheasants here won't come into the garden..prob due to the chooks and me.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 18:29 »
Male pheasants can also mate with hens and the offspring are infertile.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
How do you tame pheasants?

Started by EzLou on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 00:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
what to feed pheasants

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 12:05
by naturesparadise
xx
Chickens and Pheasants

Started by addy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:09
by ANHBUC
xx
golden pheasants

Started by reddragon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:52
by Ice

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 40 queries.