September sowing

• 6 Replies

shay

September sowing
« on: August 30, 2009, 17:09 »
I am literally about to finsh a few beds in couple of hours when kids are in bed so that when my order arrives I can start sowing some stuff during the week. Its got soil and compost already however had a load of manure delivered today and for my other beds the manure will go on so it has a few months to work its magic, however is there any disadvantage to me giving a thin layer on the beds which will then have something planted in the next 2-3 days?

Goosegirl

Re: September sowing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 17:44 »
Personally, I wouldn't put any manure on as there should be enough fertility in the soil already, plus it could lead to too much sappy growth owing to the excess nitrogen when you really don't need it at this time of year as the plants will then be prone to disease.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 18:10 »
What are you planning sowing? It's a bit restricted this time of year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 20:06 »
I have just finished preparing my beds for garlic, but i have covered them with a butyl rubber sheet and will leave it like that for a month before planting my garlic. It gives things  a chance to settle and weed seeds to germinate and die.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49 »
If it were me I would dig any rotted manure into the ground and leave that part fallow until next spring. I wouldn't put manure in places that are to be planted into straight away.

Farm-yard manure can be very strong and burn new plants so pile it up and let it cool down (decay a little) before adding it.

There are some crops that positively hate fresh manure and it can do more harm than good.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48 »
Help Please!!!!!
I got my allotment in June 09. I have finally dug and weeded half of the plot. Intending to plant garlic and spring cabbage within the next few weeks. I am able to get well rotted horse manure. Should I add and dig-in this to the area where I intend to plant? Or should I plant with no manure added? Bearing in mind that both garlic and cabbage plants require additives to aid growth?
Thanks.

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59 »
Help Please!!!!!
I got my allotment in June 09. I have finally dug and weeded half of the plot. Intending to plant garlic and spring cabbage within the next few weeks. I am able to get well rotted horse manure. Should I add and dig-in this to the area where I intend to plant? Or should I plant with no manure added? Bearing in mind that both garlic and cabbage plants require additives to aid growth?
Thanks.

I would dig a trench and put your well rotted horse manure in the bottom, cover it with the soil you dug out and plant on top. That  way the manure can carry on rotting down before the roots of your plants reach it.

xx
Considering sowing a few Kale in September

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 11:22
by Godhelm
xx
August and September sowing

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2023, 09:04
by mumofstig
xx
September/October

Started by Pablo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 18:55
by DIGGER
xx
Strawberries in September?

Started by FERDY on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 19:44
by realfood

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 33 queries.