Things to sow in September?

• 8 Replies

Flowertot

Things to sow in September?
« on: August 17, 2015, 13:52 »
I have some space in a couple of beds and am considering sowing some green manure plus some winter hardy spring onions and maybe some pak choi (I haven't done well with this before). I am interested to know what others sow in September. I presume it is too late for lots of things.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Things to sow in September?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 13:56 »
Here's the guide from the main site Flowertot  :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/garden-september.php

It pretty much echoes your list and if it stays mild, oriental veg is worth a go.  You could also plants sets for overwintering onions  :)

Christine

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:47 »
I am renovating a derelict plot (as an extra to the 10 rod one I have in good order) and am going to sow field beans on a large area next month. Have used up some winter tares, fenugreek, clover and phacelia which I've found in the seed stock and which can be planted now as the soil needs all the help it can get. We'll see what grows. The RHS has a very thorough description of green manures. It's definitely the time of year to think of green manures.

Warwicker

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:12 »
I was wondering the same thing.  I have two beds standing empty as I've just harvested the last of the onions and garlic, so thanks for the hints.

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 15:03 »
Yes thanks from me too.

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:49 »
I am renovating a derelict plot (as an extra to the 10 rod one I have in good order) and am going to sow field beans on a large area next month. Have used up some winter tares, fenugreek, clover and phacelia which I've found in the seed stock and which can be planted now as the soil needs all the help it can get. We'll see what grows. The RHS has a very thorough description of green manures. It's definitely the time of year to think of green manures.

Great link, thanks  :)

jambop

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:29 »
One of the problems or, should I say, things that have to be remembered when sowing vegs down here in September is that although we can get days that are far warmer than a summer day in the UK, one has to remember that the days are getting shorter. So what can happen is the seeds germinate well but then growth becomes sluggish so it pays to be careful of what you actually try to grow. It is too easy to get sucked in to thinking there is enough time to get a crop before the winter actually comes.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 22:53 »
I sowed White Lisbon Winter hardy spring onion the other day. Pak choi, and various spinaches, eg Emilia, Polar Bear, Ibrido and Bordeaux. Sowed various cabbages, caulis and onions in trays and they're doing really well. Just check the back of the seed packets for sowing times guidance  :)

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:53 »
We'll be sowing Japanese onions for next year. It seems September is the preferred month, but may just jump the gun if the weather's OK later on this month.

Also, we'll plant out some Thermidrome Garlic, as that has turned out to be fantastic - for the first time we've ever had any success with the stuff!

xx
Things to do in September

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:49
by Anton
xx
things to do this September

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 18:59
by Y.E.A.H
xx
September/October

Started by Pablo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 18:55
by DIGGER
clip
Ahh late September...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 20:15
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.