Best way to clear gravel areas of weeds on allotment - weed killer, or muscle!?

• 5 Replies

lcarduk

Hi! We've just taken on a couple of new allotments! One of them is made up of lots of raised beds surrounded by gravel for the paths/decorative reasons (a school nursery used to manage it). Here is a picture http://postimg.org/image/6v9f2e9lt/.

I just wondered if anyone could give some advice on the best way to clear up the gravel of the weeds. Someone said just spray with weed killer, but then I read that that should be avoided if necessary and the best way is just manually  pull and dig them up. As you can see its a lot.

If we used weed killer, although there are no plants on the gravel areas now, I was thinking in future we may want to clear some gravel areas and use for planting to get more space, so didn't want to ruin the earth here. On the other hand maybe we could just extend/join some raised beds.

Thanks

Lardman

Depends on what you mean by best.  ;)  Weedkiller should see the stuff off in about 3 weeks and you can then just lift out the dead stuff or put a hoe across it.

Personally I think that takes too long and save the weedkiller for annoying weeds which don't understand the word no. Take a rake, scrape back the gravel (looks like bark in the picture) and just dig the weeds out. Looking at what you have there it shouldn't take very long at all.

Search for some plot pictures on here and you'll see how lucky you've been with the plot.

gypsy

Maybe you could cover it in black plastic or something similar to weaken and killl the weeds
Catherine

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
If putting gravel down it would be better if it was on a geotextile fabric (such as Terram) which will let water drain but stop weeds from coming up.  So perhaps consider lifting gravel and putting fabric under it once you've conquorered the weeds this-time-around.

But, for me, the plot is far too much path and far too little growing space.  Sorry! So I would be inclined to rearrange all  the raised beds to provide more production area.

If you use a weed killer based on Glyphosate it won't poison the soil, and it only kills plants that it comes into contact with - so you do need to be careful not to allow the chemical, including any spray-drift [so avoid a windy day] to come into contact with anything you want to keep. You also need to apply only when there will then be 6 hours of dry weather.

Opinions vary on whether to use weedkiller or not, and whether folk think that companies like Monsanto are monsters :) so its a choice for the individual.  Personally I would use a Glyphosate based weedkiller for a one-time "flying start" every time.  If the weeds get away from you then you will spend all Summer try to sort it out, wind up miserable at the effort and possible "give up" and, for me, a Newbie giving up is the one thing I would like to try to help avoid :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Opinions vary hugely don't they?

You see, I would just go at it and take all the weeds out manually as really it is not that bad, and any that dared reappear have another go at. A couple of hours and it will all look hunky dory. I do like the circular bed, and that could easily be  areal feature if you are so inclined.

What are you going to do with the large grass areas? Plenty of room for expansion there, me thinks  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Comfr3y

I can see the appeal of a complete redesign but if it was me wanting to get a few beds going I  think I'd get a lot of quick progress against those weeds with a hoe whilst thinking about how to use the extra space.

In my garden where there is pea shingle type gravel the weeds come up really easily especially if you really wet them first.

Good luck with the plot - I like the rockery - looks a bit like a herb spiral.

xx
Membrane under gravel

Started by GD on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 21:23
by Trillium
xx
gravel garden path ?

Started by smellykipper on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 10:59
by John
xx
Making gravel path

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 06:42
by celjaci
xx
gravel or slate to deter slugs?

Started by GD on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 22:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 39 queries.