Raised wicking beds

• 11 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Raised wicking beds
« on: February 21, 2015, 18:07 »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96658643@N00/16564502716/

Nearly finished raised bed No 2 today, this is No1 nearly finished, I have cut slats to fill in the middle and plan to make a wooden planter for more veg, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
Re: Raised wicking beds
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 18:53 »
Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but the link just takes me to the flickr home page.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 19:13 »
Hi Yorky, I have changed the settings, is it working now, cheers Dave

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 17:37 »
Have just had a look. The link works well for me.

They look great. I presume the liner stops soil dropping through into the water, but what's it made of? If the liner sits on top of the denim wicks, does it still get enough water to keep the soil moist? Or have you fed the wicks through the liner as well?

Lots of questions... I'm dead impressed and could easily use something similar. So thanks for the idea.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 19:07 »
Hi Snoop, sorry for the delay, I have finished No2 so will try and post a pic tomorrow, the fabric I am using is from woven plastic bags, I just undo the stitching and use one layer, fingers crossed I have chosen well. What you will not see in the pics is I have used furniture knock down fittings on the bottom of the legs, these are 8mm and used to level the structure and keep the rain off the end grain of the legs, I still have to give them a lick of paint but I just haven't the time at the mo, cheers Dave

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 19:16 »
Hi Snoop, hers No 2, the chicken wire is to stop the cats etc https://www.flickr.com/photos/96658643@N00/17002090585/in/photostream/
the trough underneath is made from a strong plastic from a builder friend, Dave

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29 »
Thanks, Dave. They look great.

Two of my coldframes got utterly destroyed in a landslide caused by rainfall (stone terrace wall collapsed on them), so that's a good excuse to think about making (or getting Mr Snoop to make) a couple of these. We have lots of plastic delivery-type boxes and woven dog biscuit bags that I think would do for the liner once well washed to remove any traces of salt.

Will get working on them this weekend. If you have any other tips in the meantime, all advice gratefully received.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 14:12 »
Hi Snoop, I was going to show you another close up pic but It has never stopped raining here, on the inside of the bottom rail is a length of wood about 2x1inch and on the rail are lengths of pallet wood, like a modern bed which holds the plastic liner, I have roughly stapled mine in place but I don't think it matters too much as the weight of the water will hold it in position, on the right hand side of the bed is a piece of wood which when removed allows me to top up the system and stops midge lava etc from contaminating the water, cheers Dave

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 18:36 »
Hi Snoop, did you have any success with your wicks, just noticed you are in Spain and the system was designed for hot countries, cheers Dave

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52 »
Hi Dave,
I'm afraid they're still on the drawing board. The rain here has been phenomenal and my vegetable patch has been under water now for the last four weeks, with no sign of it draining any time soon. So I won't be growing much this year. I will think about them again for next year, though, as it's a great idea for keeping seedlings moist, something I find very difficult usually. Hope yours have proved a success.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 18:41 »
So sorry to hear that Snoop, just a thought though, many years ago a champion leek grower was having problems with his leeks splitting near show date due to excessive rain, he was already growing in deep raised beds so he fitted a roof over the beds to control how much rainfall his leeks got and it worked, I am not trying to make more work for you, but I think I would go down this road if it meant having a harvest at the end of the season and of course you can exchange the roof for shade material when the sun comes out, as I said earlier, just a thought, cheers Dave

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 19:35 »
Good idea, except... the rainfall in our valley was 350 litres (35 cm) per square metre over four days. So, shelters like you suggest wouldn't do much good really because most of the flooding that has occurred is due to rain that fell higher up the valley and the valley sides that is still filtering through the system. I'm hoping my main patch will be suitable for winter brassicas and the like planted out in late July-August time. But I'm not going to start any seeds off just in case. Instead, I'll buy plants in nearer the time.

I've got a smaller patch that's pretty well taken up with potatoes, but there is a bit of room left for toms and the like. But at this stage I'll buy most of those in too in a week or so. If I'm really lucky, a bed or two in my main patch might dry out enough for squash and melons as well, but I'll sow those in situ if it happens.

There's always next year!

xx
Re Raised Beds

Started by Sparkyrog on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 20:05
by Sparkyrog
xx
raised beds

Started by greenfingered on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 13:16
by piskieinboots
xx
Raised beds

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 11:31
by Rangerkris
xx
raised beds

Started by wrus100 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 18:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 35 queries.