Winter moulting

• 2 Replies

Flyin Chickens

Winter moulting
« on: December 17, 2008, 22:35 »
Does anyone have any info on moulting?  I have one hen that is currently going through the process of moulting and looks like she has been through a hedge backwards.

How long does it go on for and what proportion of her feathers will she lose?

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Winter moulting
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 23:28 »
Hi there

My 3 girls went through their 1st moult this year, in fact 1 is still not finished.  One of my girls went completely naked but the other 2 seemed to have partial moults.  I think it lasts around 6 weeks but depends on the age (ie the younger they are the shorted the moult).  I know it looks scary but they are just doing as nature intends, all I have done is make sure they eat plenty of pellets, have their usual grit & oyster shell and have some quality 'treats' to keep them warm (is porridge), plus a bit of extra bedding.  Mine all slept in the nest boxes during their moult so made sure they had plenty of straw to keep them warm.  You can give them poultry spice and other supplements but I think if they are young they really shouldn't need them. If I am wrong on anything then I am sure a far more experienced chicken keeper will be along with their invaluable advice!

Vember

Winter moulting
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:49 »
Hi FCs

I found this article when haveing a look on the net a while ago, it's quiet an interesting read :)
LINK

Sarah :D

xx
moulting

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 11:33
by littlefeat
xx
Moulting Hen??

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 13:26
by bantam novice
xx
Moulting?

Started by alicemandy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 14:05
by Aidy
question
moulting

Started by peter o on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 22:04
by Foxy

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.