Quail

• 29 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Quail
« on: October 02, 2010, 22:37 »
I collected my six new Quail today, but when I went to put them to bed they all became very flighty and one has cut her head.
I've never had Quail before, so i'm not sure if they peck each other the same way chickens do?
Does anybody know if I need to do anything for her to make sure she's okay?
She's still active and doesn't seem to be in any pain.
Thanks =)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

noshed

Re: Quail
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 23:11 »
I'm no expert but I've moved this to a more feathery environment
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 23:32 »
Quail will peck each other just as badly if not worse than a chicken :(  You would be bettter to put her on her own till it is healed and then carefully reintroduce her.

Quail heal fast and well but are brutal :(

They will jump and leap in the air when startled and are best kept either in low roofed housing or very high..... and then with a  soft mesh rather than wire top..... they need to not be able to build up speed when they jump in the air :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:05 »
Yup, quail are vicious little terrors so as chookie says separate until it heals  :) They are also easily startled and can knock themselves out. I hadn't seen this until a few weeks ago when I heard a bang in their coop (converted rabbit hutch) and went to look and Sid was on his back. I thought he was dead until I saw him breathing and then he came round, shook himself together and proptly flew upwards into the roof again and knocked himself out for a second time  ::) :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:21 »
You could also try some purple spray on the cut (available from horse feed type outlets) as that will help healing.  It is called purple spray, strangely, though I believe the main ingredient is gentian violet. You will need to avoid the eyes so no good if the cut is near the eyes but possible if the cut is on the top or back of the head and you can shield the eyes.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:16 »
She seems fine this morning and there is no blood left and I can't see where she cut it anymore.
They've even laid me an egg!!!!! My first ever egg =D I've had the chickens ten weeks and nothing, had the Quails one night and an egg!
I am amazed!
=D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23 »
hopefully you should get an egg a day - quails do seem to be good layers although you need an awful lot of quails eggs for an omelette  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 19:55 »
yep.... around 15 makes a good one ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 21:29 »
Congratulations!

Mine all seem to have decided to moult and are therefore on strike!
They are such pretty eggs though, you can almost forgive them for being so titchy.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12 »
i got quails this year and the research I did via google suggested a minimum height in their living area/run of 18 inches to help prevent head injuries :)

Glad she is fine. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:21 »
The run they're in is pretty high, I can kneel up in there quite easily and i'm almost 5'10 =)
They all seem to be getting on fine, one keeps pecking at the wire of the run when ever anybody goes near, but I hope she'll stop when she gets used to us being around her.
They're all good at night, they just stand and let me pick them up to put them into their bed.
So it all seems to be going well!
Got another egg this morning!! Not sure I can bring myself to eat the eggs though they're too pretty! This mornings one was a really pale blue, and yesterdays was a pale brown!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 12:57 »
My run is 6' high and they can build uo enough speed to damage themselves on there :(  maybe you need a piece of pond netting strung across the top to break the impact :)

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 19:39 »
the run mine are in varys from 8ft to 6ft and has a netted roof they dont have one specific house they just have several converted rabbit hutches and next boxes to choose from. they love to fly around the run, i never realised they were such good flyers! i have 12 which i hatched in late june, i havent had any eggs yet! im starting to think they may all be males!  :(

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 21:58 »
None of mine have flown again after the first night, they all seem to prefer it in the part of the run with a low roof that's covered over, or up the ramp inside their little house.
All seems to be good though! I used purple spray on the injured bird, and she seems to be absolutely fine and healing well.
Hopefully I will have more eggs in the morning! I'm checking on an hourly basis at the moment because i'm so excited!!

evie2

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 22:29 »
Daft comment of the week from me; I thought they stayed on the ground :blink:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Any one got quail or had them ???

Started by Lottieluv on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 12:10
by Kate and her Ducks
exclamation
quail

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:22
by woodside farm
xx
Quail help again please.

Started by coughdrop on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 08:10
by Sassy
xx
Quail ~ Why ??

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 12:43
by Bigblacktaximan

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 40 queries.