need advice please on puppies

• 20 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
need advice please on puppies
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:41 »
hey all,  im really excited as we are getting another puppy end of November, wot i was after was some advice please on wot sex to get.   We have a dog here that is 10mths old, hes a lovely dog (collie) very playful, hes getting neutered now end of this month.   When i rang the breeder of the puppies to reserve one she asked me wot sex and i automatically said male, but she voiced some concerns about getting another male to go with our male in the house, said it might cause some problems with domenant behaviour etc, she said have a bitch would be far better. (Should point out that the new puppy is a collie aswell).   Ive never had a bitch before, we have always gone for male dogs,  she would be neutered when she is old enough as we wouldnt be interested in breeding, as i said Shane is getting done end of this month, puppy isnt arriving until end of November, wot do you reckon, is it easier to go for a female with a male already in the house.   Would really appreciate anyones advice           nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: need advice please on puppies
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:50 »
I have had males together, females together (which is what I have now) and one of each and in all cases we have found that you will still get one who is the boss and will put the other in it's place. The majority of the time it has been the smallest of the two who has been the boss.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45 »
I have four male dogs and they all get along fine.
All but one has been castrated because we found when none were castrated two of them did start to fight.
But as soon as they were done we've had no problems at all!
We've always had male dogs together and have never had a problem with any of them.
They're currently all curled up together on the floor and they'd never willingly leave each other =)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 14:03 »
There's probably less chance of aggression with dog no. 1 being neutered, but if dog no. 2 were male too, he might try to take over once established a bit. Can you take Shane to meet the litter and see if he reacts particularly well or badly to one of the other gender or individual?

We went for female when we got the new dog as our Buster was still always quite a "boy" even after being neutered at the age of 9 months! ::) As it turned out they were fine and he might well have been fine with another dog, as his best pal before we moved up here was a huge curly coated retriever called Charlie! :D

Apart from un-neutered male aggression, I think a lot of it may be down to personality too.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 14:07 »
We've only had females together but MIL has 2 boys and they get on fine.  If they're both puppies even with an age difference they should be fine, just keep an eye on the older one who'll be a lot stronger :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 14:23 »
thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated.   I have reserved a female so will probably just go ahead with her, never had a bitch before so it might be nice to have a female in the house wot with all these boys lol lol lol.  Will let you know how we get on when she arrives.  nickyx

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 14:25 »
We look forward to the pics too, Nicky! :D

olde9856

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 14:55 »
We have only ever had males and have at various times had 4 together of varying ages with no problems.
I suppose its all to do with the temprement of the dogs concerned

rachelr

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 20:54 »
I had never had male dogs. However, I now have three males all ex rescue dogs and although there can be sibling rivalry there is no real fighting.

As Joyful says the smallest rules the roost. I have a bichon and a spaniel and a staffador and the bichon rules!!!!!!!!!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 17:42 »
We had a pack of male dogs (3 of various ages and breeds) and they all got on absolutely fine, but, we had huge problems with them cocking their legs up furniture, curtains, my friends handbag, etc etc.  Was never able to stop them, even using anti wee sprays etc.  Always assumed it was a dominance thing between then even though they all got on.

I then saw the light, and got a neutered female.  She is now the sole remaining member of the gang, and the curtains are piddle free for the first time in years. :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 17:44 »
 :lol: :lol:

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 21:29 »
I have had one male and 2 female GSD's (we had a male and a female at the same time; they produced 12 beautiful puppies in 2 litters).  I have to say, I find the females alot more protective, especially if you have young children.  The female GSD we had when my children were young - many, many moons ago  :D - would 'herd' my 3 children if they went running off in different directions!  :nowink: Both sexes are extremely affectionate though.  Sadly, I only have the one female now but I'm toying with the idea of getting another.....
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

TeaPots

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 12:27 »
I think its down to personality, and definitely can be affected by the way the initial meeting is handled. Some of the unlikeliest matches work.....

TeaPots

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:28 »
 ???  :unsure:
broody hen.jpg

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 13:12 »
 :D

xx
New puppies

Started by Pep on Pets without Feathers

31 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:52
by Pep
smiley
Puppies puppies puppies

Started by bravemurphy on Pets without Feathers

26 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 21:20
by devonbarmygardener
xx
puppies in the bin

Started by chrissie B on Pets without Feathers

39 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 23:05
by chrissie B
xx
pics of our puppies

Started by rubymolly on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 20:02
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.